Three nights in Baxter/Traveler Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaze

Reaction score
A few shots from a three-night trip to the lean-to at Upper South Branch Pond, Thursday 9/9 through Sunday 9/12. Rain Thursday night and most of Friday. But we hit the jackpot Saturday, with a bright, breezy day, cool and crisp as a Cortland apple. We hiked the Traveler Loop, and it was fantastic. If you have not done this yet, you owe it to yourself to do so.

Thanks to John G and Pete H for a great long weekend and for great food and beverage (Thursday: pork medallions and carrots in masala sauce; Friday: spicy chicken and peanuts in Thai coconut sauce; Saturday: salmon burritos with spinach and black bean salsa). And to LL Bean for giving us "Wilderness Days" to go play in the great outdoors. And to Baxter State Park.... and Ranger Gabe and Marcia at South Branch Pond... and the volunteer from Friends of Baxter State Park who was at work on the Loop on Saturday... and to all the nice people we met on the trail.

Some rain-soaked foliage.
p121685683-4.jpg

p291873755-4.jpg

--
Signage near the Upper South Branch Pond lean-to.
p248377626-5.jpg

--
Howe Brook Falls.
p383573869-5.jpg

p531570647-4.jpg

p28521816-5.jpg

--
A couple panoramics from the spectacular, spectacular Traveler Loop. Did I mention it was spectacular? :)
p382974220-4.jpg

p154662447-4.jpg

p275892062-4.jpg

will post a full gallery soon.

Last edited:
Jonathan,

I guess great minds think alike: BSP after Labor Day :cool:. Too bad the weather was a bit less than perfect for us all.

You stayed at my wife's and my favorite site, the Upper S. Branch Lean-to. What an amazing spot!

Great pix and TR as always.

Hope our paths cross one of these days.

Regards,
Marty

Thanks guys!

BSP after Labor Day :cool:.

Yes indeed. One of my favorite times and places. I have the good fortune to be going back in two weeks, and will cover some of the same ground your group did - Chimney Pond, Davis Pond, Wassataquoik Lake Island. It has been too long since I've done that loop. The foliage should have progressed nicely in those two weeks.

wow, those are some clear, beautiful pictures. i havent been further east than Grafton notch in Maine, so whenever I see stuff from that area, it makes me want to get over there. I love it.

grouseking

p378863525-4.jpg

thanks again for the nice comments! grouseking, and anybody else who has not yet been there - check it out. you'll be glad you did.

photos are posted here - slide show, gallery.

Jonathan

Great pics! Nice clouds in the panorama shots. Looks like you had a perfect day for the hike. And your menu sounds delicious.

We did the Traveler Loop three years ago on a trip to Baxter after Labor Day (barely - once the ranger found out I was seven months pregnant I thought he was going to forbid me to do it :p ). We loved it - one of our favorite Northeast hikes. That part of the park is beautiful and not nearly as many people (we only saw one other person the day we did the Traveler).

... I was seven months pregnant...

I am sure Norah has hiked more miles, before she was even born, than many people will in a lifetime! :)

Thanks for the kind words. I am really looking forward to the return trip in less than two weeks.

Last edited: