Maine Huts & Trails Grand Fall Hut open October 10th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
For those who havent checked out the Maine Huts and Trails facilities, they will be up to three huts next month.

http://www.mainehuts.org/news/press/post/grand-falls-hut-to-open-october-10th

They are a more affordable yet more far more refined alternative to AMC's facilities and with the third hut now offer a three night string of facilities situated a days apart

They are heated, meals are included in the price and have showers with groomed ski trails in between the huts.

A few of us stayed one night at their Flagstaff hut after last years Gathering and all agreed they are great places to stay

We went after the Fall gathering in September (around Sept 22nd) so it was a bit early for skiing ;). It was a super fall day when we went. The trees were changing and we drove to the trail access point on Long Falls Dam road to go to the hut. They have a alternate beachfront trail that runs along the beach on Flagstaff which looks and feels like walking along the seashore complete with seagulls and driftwood.

There is a seasonal logging road that runs parallel to the trail from Carrabasset to Poplar stream to Long Falls dam road and then the trail runs parallel along Long Falls dam road. By the looks of the terrain while driving, I would expect that the skiing would be pretty tame between Poplar Stream and Flagstaff with some uphill with a bit more challenge between Poplar Stream and Carrabasset as it is steeper. The run from Flagstaff to Grandfalls looks to be pretty flat. They also have a ungroomed section for snowshoers and claim there is plenty of time to snowshoe between the huts so I would expect if anything that the trails would be considered fairly easy. I am not a skier but I expect it would be an equivalent experience to skiing into Zeland from 302?

Thanks, I really want to try this. Felt others on the board were discouraging this last year, warning that the huts would be filled with snowmobilers.

One more question: how was the food? Compared to the WMNF huts if that's easier.

The food was great, the host gave us some choices, we picked one and he cooked it. He also offered to chill our beer or wine. The huts arent that far away from civilization so they can drive in supplies to two of them during spring summer and fall, the Grand Falls hut is a few miles in the woods.

Yes I agree that snowmachines might be an issue that you wouldnt have in the WMNF and I believe that snowmachiners are part of their clientel. Guests do need to bring a pack and a sleeping bag so that may reduce the number of snowmobilers staying overnight and they dont actively advertise them as a place to go just for a meal so I expect that will cut down on the day trippers. I dont know anyone that has stayed in the winter so its up for someone to report.

Last edited:
We stayed at the Poplar Falls Stream Hut in winter and snowshoed in the few miles from the trailhead. There is a snowmobile trail through tribal lands that is not far from this hut but I don't believe the groomed xc ski trails allow snow machines. Flagstaff Lake is accessible to snow machines and with Flagstaff Lake Hut being right on the lake, I wouldn't be surprised to see some snowmobilers there.

FWIW I have no objection to sharing the hut with people who enjoy other pursuits but I am fairly certain there wouldn't be any conflict on groomed xc ski trails except where they might perhaps intersect. Besides, I have been known to xc ski on snowmobile trails and about the "worse" thing that happened was that I was invited to a bash in Greenville, which was a great night! MH&T could ill afford to turn down business on the basis of how people arrive but the system is designed around hiking and skiing.

Peakbagger points out the great service we had but part of the dinner choice was due to the fact that our group constituted the guest list that night. Still, the food has been good no matter what it is. The after dinner tour of the facility is impressive as the huts are off the grid yet are quite comfortable. The use of solar, hydropower and battery backup is state of the art as is the waste system. An inspiration for environmentally aware construction.

The huts now have a beer and wine license and accordingly, BYOB consumption in the common area (Lodge) is no longer acceptable, or perhaps legal.

I like the hut system so much that I am bringing a group to Flagstaff for Columbus Day weekend. We've got 12 bunks reserved. Our group consists of athletes from the Special Olympics soccer teams (Hooligans) I coach plus some friends and family members ... this is a fall and winter tradition that we've been doing for over 10 years and we love running into people from Views.

what are the winter rates?

I have not seen on their web site any reference to winter rates. It would be hard to judge whether their rates are more affordable.

Wow! their new website makes it difficult to find the rates but here 'tis:
Hut Rates

I believe the rates are the same all year round but there are a lot of promotional rates during the shoulder seasons. There are also self service rates during some seasons. Get on their email list and you'll receive notice of other promotions.

Wondering about the membership values

Pacesetter Membership (Individual or Family): $200

Includes all Base Membership benefits, plus two free night stays* for new member

Does it mean that my family of 4 get 2 nights free or just one of us? I'm guessing it's just one member of our family ...