Galehead, South and North Twin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamples

Reaction score
I am thinking of combining these 3 peaks for a car spotted day hike. About 12 miles it looked like to head up Gale River Tr, hit the hut and Galehead and continue up to south Twin over north and down.

But would anyone that has done this recommend the opposite way instead and why?

Just did Garfield and Gale River trail looked similarly easy to the hut and top of Galehead. But not sure if that is the best way to attack the twins also or is that 3 peak day trip too much really?

THanks for any opinions!

This is a very doable hike. Especially with a car spot. I don't think it matters a whole lot which way you go as the climb up both North and South Twin is stiff. When done with one car most seem to go from North to South, then reclimb South Twin.

Yeah originally was thinking of the way I stated, but now thinking getting the majority of the climbing out of the way first may be the way to go by hitting the Twins first then down to Galehead and out Gale River, hmmm

GLad to know this is easily doable w the car spot.
Just did the Whiteface-Passaconaway loop a couple weeks ago which was 12 miles and some good elevation climbing so should be able to do this 12 miler.

I don't think it matters a whole lot which way you go as the climb up both North and South Twin is stiff.
Like Loanshark said, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference which way you do this. In terms of elevation gain, according to the online edition of the WMG, it's about the same from either direction:

Start at Gale River Trail: 3,812 ft gain
Start at North Twin Trail: 3,568 ft gain

hey

Hi -
I have done this - did the Twins first - and I would prefer it that way - to me, you get an easier walk out, and you get the hut earlier in the day for water refills. If you are super strong and fast it really makes no difference...
Some things to consider - GRT is an easier descent and South Twin is tough either way - some folks prefer upclimbing that stuff - I did find that to be a slow, calculated descent.
Have a great day - I need to do it again someday when there are views!

My two cents is as follows: Go up via North Twin first, especially if there has been a lot of rain in the days before you hike. The third water crossing of the Little River (which is the only crossing of that river that does not have an established bushwhack) is the most difficult of the trip, and I would rather find out that crossing is a problem early in the day, rather than at the end of a long day's hike when retreat over the Twins would be a problem.

As folks have said, if you are doing the loop with a car spot the difference is not great although folks do generally seem to prefer starting with the Twins.

The only time I know of when the Gale River trail is the obvious choice is when you are obliged to do an out and back. Descending South Twin to Galehead then going back up South Twin definitely would add to the challenge.

For whatever reason, I have noticed a number of winter trail reports of an out and back bagging all three starting with the GRT.

From what I see here and the more I think about it, I will prolly head up the Twins first.

As far as the water crossings of Little River, on North Twin Tr from the parking lot, are all 3 tough? or is it more about that 3rd one the def toughest?

I do like the idea of an easy walk out on GRT.

There is no need to do the first two crossings. At the first crossing there is a very clear herd trail that continues up the left side. That herd trail is fast becoming the main trail. At the third crossing take a look around. On my last summer crossing I went up stream just a little ways and rock hopped out to a bar in the middle of the stream. I walked back down the bar roughly to the point of the crossing and was able to rock hop to the far shore. It wasn't at all difficult.

As with most rivers, the crossings furthest downhill are the toughest. But on the North Twin trail, the third (i.e. highest) crossing is unavoidable, whereas you can easy skip the two lower ones by following a heavily-trodden "bushwhack" along the bank. It's raining in Boston today, but the rivers have been very low lately, I don't expect you'll have any difficulty.

There's a link to a (somewhat) nearby water gauge here

My camp is near the North Twin Trail and I hike up to the crossings a lot for a quick hike...they have been very manageable this year - and as stated - no need to tangle with the first two at all. Have fun! :D

Personally, I would not do this as a car spotted hike.

I would hike up the lovely Gale River Trail, drop my bag at the Hut to tag Galehead. Back at the Hut, I'd eat lunch to fortify myself for the haul up S. Twin. At less than a mile, this little jaunt is likely to require some stamina. At the summit of S.Twin, I'd take a nap and stretch my legs before sauntering the easy 1.3 over to N. Twin, (make sure you go to the viewpoint), and then 1.3 back to S. Twin, returning the way I came, knowing full well what was ahead of me.

I would seriously hesitate to expect someone who has never been on these trails before to tackle North Twin Trail. For one thing, the stream crossings are difficult and will require wading bootless. Another issue is that other frequent hikers expect shamples to find and follow the bushwhack, without knowing if shamples is comfortable with being off-trail. I know the North Twin Trail has a new adopter ::waves:: but it is generally one of the most unpleasant trails in the Pemi, if not the entire Whites.

IMHO, the North Twin Trail is not a good way to start a day of hiking. It has stream crossings for which you must remove your boots, a virtually-required bushwhack right out of the gate, the grade is boring, the treadway muddy, and the definition obscure. If a car-spotting hike is etched in stone, I would recommend descending N. Twin Trail when the magnetic lure of the car can draw you along a sketchy and unfamiliar trail. You can wade through the streams, without leaving the trail, arriving at the car with wet boots as the only bad memory of the day. If you ascend North Twin Trail, your memories may be much worse...

Just my 2 cents (former adopter of North Twin Spur 1993-2000)

The third water crossing of the Little River (which is the only crossing of that river that does not have an established bushwhack) is the most difficult of the trip, and I would rather find out that crossing is a problem early in the day, rather than at the end of a long day's hike when retreat over the Twins would be a problem.
I would go up Gale River for that same reason - coming down it doesn't matter this time of year if you get wet at that crossing, it's more of a problem with a full hike ahead.

For whatever reason, I have noticed a number of winter trail reports of an out and back bagging all three starting with the GRT.
There are two good reasons for this - less trail breaking on a out-and-back and lack of official winter parking at Little River.

WHOA!!!

This is a very timely string! We were going to hit N. then S...then Galehead using the N. Twin trail and then the spur...and then BACK to the car!!! (going to wait to do Tripyramid slide loop when we have more time for the drive to the trailhead)

Glad I read this 1st.

SO...use the GRT to head to the hut...drop pack...hit galehead...back to hut...(LEAVE PACKS?)...hit S...then N. Twin...then back to hut...pick up packs...out to car?

WHOA!!!

This is a very timely string! We were going to hit N. then S...then Galehead using the N. Twin trail and then the spur...and then BACK to the car!!! (going to wait to do Tripyramid slide loop when we have more time for the drive to the trailhead)

Glad I read this 1st.

SO...use the GRT to head to the hut...drop pack...hit galehead...back to hut...(LEAVE PACKS?)...hit S...then N. Twin...then back to hut...pick up packs...out to car?

As far as the starting point I agree. I could also see especially since you use the word we, that you could leave your pack at the hut to do Galehead. It's not that far.

It's a good distance from the hut to North Twin. You're going to clear the tree line on South Twin and there is some exposure going over to North and back to South. I wouldn't do that without the basic safety, security, extra warmth items needed for a hike. Unless you're talking about just some over night back packing items that you might leave there I wouldn't leave my pack at the hut to do the twins.

I agree that I would bring my pack to North Twin with me, or at least into the col. I wouldn't feel comfortable hiking that far away from my pack if I left it at the Hut. If it's just a dayhike, your pack won't be too heavy anyway.

i descended the north twin trail a couple weeks ago for the first time not buried in snow since 03. it's rough and loose above the 3rd crossing and grown in a bit in spots, but really not that bad. the crossings right now are low and easily made (the crossings on gale river trail should also not be taken for granted as easy if we get some good rain). if you are going to have two cars up there regardless i would still do the loop (either direction) with the car spot, see some new terrain and avoid backtracking. if you can car pool all in one vehicle the out and back from gale river makes the most sense. if you do the out and back it's worth heading down the north twin trail a little ways to get some great views north and east you don't get from north twins summit area viewpoint.
these are some great peaks. have fun.

bryan

if you do the out and back it's worth heading down the north twin trail a little ways to get some great views north and east you don't get from north twins summit area viewpoint.
these are some great peaks. have fun. bryan

That's a very good suggestion. Plus, you could leave your pack at the summit of North Twin while you did that little excursion. You'll know when you're on the open ledges.

If the crossings remain low and easily made, then doesn't sound like a problem... but I am looking at it for next weekend, so another week away. I will have to watch how much rain that area gets and check anyone's current trip reports from either this week or weekend or next week. I am def concerned enough about these water crossings if not rock hopable... I go w my 74 year old father in law who is a great hiker, but wouldn't do well crossing a river having to remove boots and do any.wading across.

The plan with the car spot would be to tackle the Twins first so I guess will make the call in that first 2 miles if the crossings are too difficult.

Actually just read 2 diff reports from the trail conditions area... one from 8/22 and the other 9/4 where all crossings were rock hopable. So hopefully it stays this way and doesn't sound too bad. Any new updates are welcome. Thanks for all the interesting reading and tips everyone. I can never have enough info going into a hike.