"Ice Traction Slip-Ons" vs Micro-Spikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They do look like the Kahtoola Microspikes. I don't know if they are as good but I think those are the best thing every for bare ice and compacted snow. They will get you killed if there is enough snow, an inch or 2 not compacted over ice though. For the right conditions they are fantastic. If these work as good they would be a great buy.

Keith

A thing I noticed was Microspikes weigh in at 12.5 ounces (for Mediums,) these are sayin 1.1. lbs. Not a huge difference, but something!

I actually bought a similar pair for about $20. My only complaint was that the "one size fits all" is more like a Men's Medium. Much too small for my 11 1/2 foot.

They look exactly like the Hillsound Trail Crampon. http://www.hillsound.com/

I prefer the design over the microspikes.

They actually are more of a knock off of the Hillsound Trail Crampons. As has been mentioned they are one size fits all and they don't fit the larger size shoes. It's also possible that with really small feet they would be too large. The Hillsounds come in multiple sizes. They have slightly larger spikes and are more aggressive than the Katoola Microspikes and as much as I liked the Microspikes, along with Yvon I prefer the Hillsounds.

If you wear medium size shoes it might be worth giving the Ice Tractions a try, as they are less than half the price of the Hillsounds but with larger feet save your money and go with the Hillsounds.

Last winter Ragged Mountain in Intervale was selling them.

I have a pair of hillsounds and a pair of these. Seem identical; both have held up well; I had to replace one broken chain link on the cheap ones last winter, but no other problems. Probably the chinese factory undercutting hillsound. I buy my flicklocks in WM for $28 / pair...same situation.

I purchased These from Sportmansguide.com this spring and was very happy with them. They look identical to the Barre Army Navy ones. The spikes are longer than those on the microspikes, and grip very well.

See this Thread and scroll down for more info. At the time only the medium size microspikes were available locally, and they were too small. The mil-specs fit from Sportmansguide.com was spot-on.

I purchased These from Sportmansguide.com this spring and was very happy with them. They look identical to the Barre Army Navy ones. The spikes are longer than those on the microspikes, and grip very well.

See this Thread and scroll down for more info. At the time only the medium size microspikes were available locally, and they were too small. The mil-specs fit from Sportmansguide.com was spot-on.

I have the same Mil-Spec spikes I got from Sportsmans Guide. They fit my son (size 3 - the kid in the avatar)poorly, but did the job on hard packed snow and ice (in NC this spring) and I have used them (size 12) frequently on exposed icy rock and on icy snowmobile trails. I prefer these to Microspikes when sideslipping is an issue...the strap seems to hold the spikes to the sole of the boot better.

The spikes on Mircrospikes are more stout and the chains on the Mil-Spec spikes have required pliers a couple of times. Overall, considering the cost I prefer the Mil-Spec spikes.

Last edited:
I have the same Mil-Spec spikes I got from Sportsmans Guide. They fit my son (size 3 - the kid in the avatar)poorly, but did the job on hard packed snow and ice (in NC this spring) and I have used them (size 12) frequently on exposed icy rock and on icy snowmobile trails. I prefer these to Microspikes when sideslipping is an issue...the strap seems to hold the spikes to the sole of the boot better.

The spikes on Mircrospikes are more stout and the chains on the Mil-Spec spikes have required pliers a couple of times. Overall, considering the cost I prefer the Mil-Spec spikes.

This is very interesting. I wore my Hillsounds all last winter. I never needed to make a repair and the points held up better than the points on my Microspikes. I would guess from this that while the Mil-Spec spikes may look like the Hillsounds they don't seem to be as well made.

just got hillsounds and used them once--there is lots of oxidation on them already--i love them on general principles but am worried they will rust out completely. i left them in the car overnite but i also did this w the kahtoola microspikes and they had no problem....

just got hillsounds and used them once--there is lots of oxidation on them already--i love them on general principles but am worried they will rust out completely. i left them in the car overnite but i also did this w the kahtoola microspikes and they had no problem....

Found this post interesting so I just checked mine. I had worn my Hillosunds the first hour last Saturday then switched to MSRs. I had simply thrown the Hillsounds into the carrying case and then stuck the sack in my pack. When I checked today I detected a very small bit of oxidation on a couple of spots where the chain connects with the steel plate. It was very little and wiped off easily. It's true I never noticed any oxidation on my microspikes but at the same time I think the points wore down on them more quickly then they have with the Hillsounds.

I use these: :)

ht-enterprises-scl-super-stud-sandal-ice-fishing-cleats.html

http://www.johnnyspond.com/ht-enterprises-scl-super-stud-sandal-ice-fishing-cleats.html

I didn't buy them at Walmart...Gander mountain this time. A little heavy but very tough.

I have heard some third hand reports from some folks on Meetup who bought them that the lookalikes are not very durable specifically the rubber tears out. Given the one size issue I expect that part of the problem is trying to make one size truly fit all (as I find out when I try to fit in my size 13 4-E's;))