Vermont Fire Towers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Related to the other thread about Vermont Fire Towers, I started comparing the book and the web list.

It turns out the book does not mention these 2 fire tower peaks:

Owl's Head Mountain - Peacham
West (Pond) Mountain - Ferdinand

West Pond, I found.

Does anyone know if this mountain still has a tower?

Also, does anyone know where Owl's head is, and does it still have a tower?

And are they public land?

E-Mail From Land Owner said:
Subject: West Pond Mountain Fire Tower, Ferdinand, Vermont
I’ve noticed that there is mention of this site on your website. Could you please post that this site has been privately owned since 1973, and is not open to the public. Both Liability issues as well as privacy issues are the motivation for this.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

Fred Morrow

Added by bikehikeskifish

(Thanks, Steve! :D )

Last edited by a moderator:
Owl's Head in Peacham has a CCC constructed stone twer on the summit. It has nice views towards Camel's Hump. If you bushwack east on the summit, there are great views towards the Whites, Cube and Smarts. It is a really short hike, and there are nice remote lean-to campsites on Kettle Pond, near the bottom. The mountain is in Groton State Park.

West Mountain is part of the "Champion Lands"
http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/library/maps/Wildlife%20Management%20Areas/St%20Johnsbury%20District/West%20Mountain%20WMA.pdf

West Pond Mountain Fire Tower, Ferdinand, Vermont

E-Mail From Land Owner said:
Subject: West Pond Mountain Fire Tower, Ferdinand, Vermont
I’ve noticed that there is mention of this site on your website. Could you please post that this site has been privately owned since 1973, and is not open to the public. Both Liability issues as well as privacy issues are the motivation for this.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

Fred Morrow

Tim