Torn Meniscus and the High Peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
Perhaps due to numerous hikes this year or squats with weights at the gym, one knee now has developed a torn meniscus. Only discomfort is with very deep knee bending. Surgery not considered at this point. I hate to miss out on the fall hiking season and the MD indicated that further damage not likely when hiking. Suggested to take anti-inflammatories and evaluate after -hike discomfort.

One question is, are there any specific knee braces or wraps to consider when hiking or would they be uncomfortable or unhelpful? Second question is more of a second opinion, whether steep hikes would or would not increase the tear damage and make things worse?

I will certainly use poles on descents, which I wish I used all along.

I use the Cho-Pat knee strap. I have a replaced ACL and torn meniscus and as long as the pain stays in the front by your knee cap this will work well.

2 years ago I had a meniscus related relapse that was really bad. I was going down a flight of stairs and I suddenly had a feeling of a rubber band being pulled across the front of my knee, then my hamstring went into a very painful spasm that put me right down. The pain then was in the outside of my knee.

When the pain is in front I can go uphill without a problem and downhill with some support from poles. With this new pain nothing helped and it was very difficult just walking. 2 years later and I'm just getting back on the trails. Have done 2 hikes in the past 2 weeks.

Just watch where it hurts. Here's a link to the brace:

http://www.footsmart.com/P-Cho-Pat-Dual-Action-Knee-Strap-20032.aspx

Best of luck with your recovery.

Kevin

I have a torn meniscus in my right knee and will have to go under the knife in Novemeber. However that has not stopped me from getting out in the High Peaks and Colorado this summer/fall. I use a 20 dollar knee brace that I got at Dick's Sporting Goods - makes a world of difference. Granted I don't do as much mileage and I move slower, but has not held me back too much...

Link to the knee brace that I use:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...Id=3998270&cp=2367438.2367820.2809720.2809764

For me limiting the range of motion under load has helped to reduce reoccurance. Meaning - I take steps without a large rise - avoiding bending my knee(s) too much. Stone steps are tough as the designers often make the rise more than 6". Normally I use the surrounding rock.

I don't wrap or when I do I wrap above and below the knee cap as a wrap unver the knee cap press the cap against the meniscus.

I have torn meniscus. This brace has worked great for me this summer, including major boulder scrambling and rough trails on Mt. Katahdin, while carrying a 25-30 pound pack:

http://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Brace-Medium-Model-54112/dp/B001ANYKVG

This has worked better than anything I have tried, including the Bauerfiend Genutrain.

I also got two cortisone shots in my knee, which have worked GREAT. The first lasted 5 weeks. Am hoping the second will last longer. If the severe pain returns, I will likely opt for arthroscopic cleanout surgery. Full surgery is not recommended due to my age, since I may need a knee replacement within the next 10 years.

Good luck.:)

Marty

Some people hate using poles uphill, but I find that they help my legs in general feel less abused by the end of the day. Give that a shot in addition to using them when you descend.

You could try going downhill backwards. Actually I'm being serious. After surgeries on both knees for medial meniscus tears I became a PITA to my physical therapist because I needed to hike but the pain was pretty bad on the downhills during recovery. He suggested going down backwards. It worked. I went down Giant Mtn that way. It's something I try whenever my knees flare up. Incidentally my first ortho said to walk on it and use ibuprofen. I messed up the second knee because of uneven stride and weight bearing and ...really, really messed up the original one. By the time the second ortho went in it was much, much worse.

The poles are invauable for both up and down. My body is wearing out way too fast as it is, so I'll use the poles even for short hikes.

I have brand new problem in one knee, and can no longer bend it fully due to pain. Started suddenly at the end of July. After xray looked good, ortho indicated just keep doing normal activities as long as pain is controlled. It wasn't getting better, so I went back for an MRI. MRIs are hard to read, but my best read is a tear in the posterior horn of the lateral mensicus. That matches the symptoms, as well. I will be seeing the ortho again in the next week or so, to determine the course. Right now, running is out, and skiing this year looks to be shot. Not sure if I am doing more damage by continuing to hike and climb...

Boreal, was there anything special or unusual about your meniscus tear that resulted in more damage from weight bearing? Most texts would agree with my ortho that it was OK...

You could try going downhill backwards. Actually I'm being serious.

Glad it's not just me. I went down Tripyramid backwards when I didn't think my knees would hold me going the normal way... this drove me to the orthopedist a couple years ago (although I hiked FOT48 before the appt.). Luckily I avoided the knife, at least for now.

The poles are invauable for both up and down. My body is wearing out way too fast as it is, so I'll use the poles even for short hikes.

I find the poles balance effort between my upper & lower body. I use them all the time, when except when I'm hiking with younger nieces/nephews, or with my father. Then I need to keep my hands free!

Boreal, was there anything special or unusual about your meniscus tear that resulted in more damage from weight bearing? Most texts would agree with my ortho that it was OK...

I went about 9 months heeding the first guy's advice of just using ibuprofen before getting another doc. A a serious hiker, it turns out it didn't work for me. By the time I had surgery a year after the first diagnosis, I had developed a cyst within the cartilage and the tear was much worse than originally suspected. I was in constant severe pain and could barely walk. I went in for the MRI and that night got a phone call from the doc saying she'd get me scheduled ASAP. The second kneee suffered just because we aren't meant to limp for a full year. It really messes up the alignment of our joints. Ended up with having to have the joint cleaned up, and three kinds of tendonitis. On that knee I also had to tape the patella in place for an additional year until everything straightened out. The second knee took a couple of years to heal. It would have been easiser had it just been another tear. Have poles, will travel is my motto.

Each case is different. For me, waiting caused more harm. Trust your own doc's advice.

Good luck with your knee. I've spent the last 5 months recovering from ACL reconstructive surgery and I've got 4 more months to go before I'm fully recovered.

I sympathize with you...

I'm sorry

knee pain stinks! Not going to tell my story, just be careful whatever you do. I'll never know if hiking added to the arthritis or it was just bound to happen in the long run. Good luck....some swear taking those glucosimin pills work, I can't say anything about it. Been scoped 3x's in right and 2 in left, or visa versa :confused: I need the replacements :(

But, good news is that I got into kayaking and started the NFCT ;)

I recovered from arthroscopic surgery on a torn medial meniscus last year and was pounding it in the mountains within five weeks. I am one of those who swears by Glucosomine Chondroitin. Also, continue lots of leg work - squats and lunges - to build the supporting muscles. I also recommend to anyone to get the surgery done ASAP because after you did, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

I tore a meniscus several years ago and after an initial period of rest, rehabilitation and anti-inflammatories was able to resume normal activities without surgery and without further medication. However, I did wrap my knee when doing any strenuous activity on my feet.

Eventually, I needed the surgery which, among knee procedures, seems comparatively easy and successful though it can recur depending on a number of factors.

By the time I required surgery I really couldn't even consider demanding hikes. It was most painful whenever I stepped on a rock or root which caused my leg to turn ... straight fore and aft no problem, the slightest twist Ouch!