Fort Mtn (ME) trivia question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weatherman

Reaction score
South Metro Denver Avatar: Basin Ponds Bullwinkl
While at the summit of Fort the other day I encountered a piece of an aircraft control panel at the summit cairn that looked to be quite old. (sorry, forgot the camera!) I hear there was a plane crash there years ago (when?). It is not the radio, but what I think is a panel with knobs to adjust trim, flaps etc. It is an aluminum box measuring about 16 x 10 x 6 inches.One dial goes from 0 to 25, another from -70 to +70, and a couple others that I forget. No frequency selector dial as would be present with a radio. Very little attached to the back, just a few wires and a couple of what look to be coils.
In any case, it served as a great conversation piece for the bushwhack back!
Any info would be much appreciated and mused over.
Chris

Re: Too bad- would have searched for the rest of the wreckage had I known

weatherman said:
Wow- thanks! But any idea what part lies at the summit cairn? Any pilots on the board want to take a crack?

I was there with Harry, but I don't remember if anyone took any photos.

Patty? Harry? Dawn? Jean?

Geez, I've been over there a couple of times and always just assumed it was a radio transmitter. I guess I haven't really looked at it closely enough to notice the labels. I did see the loose wires and coils in the back though. I haven't been there since I got a digital camera, but I'll take a look through my photos and see if I can come up with one.

spencer

Weatherman,

thanks for thinking of us (or TramperAl at least), but I'm ashamed to say we didn't. Dare I say we forgot to ask the evening we got there and when we got down from our day, Ranger Snow was out on his rounds. We thought about waiting for a while, but decided against it. I might be there again this week and if so, I'll claim the prize.

I'm glad to see you had a great time in the park, Weatherman!

spencer

Fort crash etc.

Hey Chris,
I was doing a little East Turner research over the weekend, and came across this listing of the Fort crash, and the well known Fort bushwhack fatality also:

June 15, 1944 Sgt. E.R. Barned of Escatawpa., Capt. Roger Inman of Irlington, Virginia, First Officer D.N. Gill of Silver Springs, Maryland, Navigator David Reynolds of Arlington, Virginia, Flight Engineer Nordie Byrd of Fairfax, Virginia, Radio Operator, Eugene Summer of Alexandria, Virginia, Purser Sam Berman of Alexandria, Virginia lost in plane crash of a military C-54 on Fort Mountain.

June 3, 1995 Jeffery Rubbin, age 53 - Drowned after becoming lost on a hiking trip up North Brother to Fort Mountain.

Add: And here is a picture of the cockpit of a C-54:
C-54 Dashboard

Last edited: