Hardshell Jacket Suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FARMER

Reaction score
It's time to replace ye olde shell. I currently have an EMS Paclite goretex shell that has been great but is pretty shredded from last winter. Ideally a Paclite shell with some heavier material in the sleeves would be ideal for pushing through frozen spruce etc. The lighter the better. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks.

The two features, lightweight & durable, are almost mutually exclusive.

If you are willing to pay for one, the higher end of arc'teryx jackets are both lightweight & durable in my opinion. I've had one for 6 years and it's the toughest piece of clothing I own. I probably won't replace it for another 5-10 years.

I've got a Wild Things shell made out of eVent fabric. It breathes much better than Gore-Tex and I feel good about supporting a local company. I believe it's called the Alpinist jacket. I have the version without pit-zips.

If you are willing to pay for one, the higher end of arc'teryx jackets are both lightweight & durable in my opinion. I've had one for 6 years and it's the toughest piece of clothing I own. I probably won't replace it for another 5-10 years.

But, as lightweight as something like a Red Ledge Free Rein or Marmot Precip?

You do raise a good point, a high-end lightweight jacket will probably be more durable and should have a good warranty. Likewise, a high-end jacket built for durability will likely be lighter than a lower-end durable jacket. Still, a lightweight jacket will always be compromising durability.

In my experience softshells are outstanding from a durability standpoint, but much heavier and more bulky than a hardshell.

When I'm going to be mostly thrashing around in the woods, I choose a durable jacket (usually a softshell), but if I'm going to be primarily above treeline, I'll go with the lightweight hardshell.

But, as lightweight as something like a Red Ledge Free Rein or Marmot Precip?

Not even close...but if you are talking performance per ounce, Arc'teryx is the very best in my opinion. You won't find too many people who use an Arc'teryx jacket and then switch to something else afterwards.

... Ideally a Paclite shell with some heavier material in the sleeves would be ideal for pushing through frozen spruce etc. .

Just tossing this out: If you do a lot of 'whackin, I wonder if you could rig something up, like "arm gaiters", maybe use actual gaiters or old sleeves, to use while in the thick and then remove. Just a thought.

I really believe in softshells and always had a pretty tough, bombproof hardshell. But now that I have really converted to softshells, I'm trying to look for a lighter weight hardshell, too, considering my current one is probably 1.5 pounds. But as people said, when you go lighter, you sacrifice durability.

I can't afford it yet, and if money is no object - it's kind of ridiculous how expensive these shells can get - look at (sorry for dropping brands):
Arc'teryx Alpha LT is 13oz
Patagonia Stretch Ascent at 16 oz.
Mountain Hardwear Optimo at 15oz, and
OR Mentor at 17oz.
Rab Latok Alpine 17oz

I really like the Arc'teryx and Patagonia if I can find it cheap enough. Also available is the Patagonia M10, that weighs only 10oz. It's pretty sweet, but it's paper thin, and I don't know if it would handle somethings like long alpine rock climbs, dense bushwhacking, or glissading. But worth considering if you only want a wet-weather backup to a softshell.

But if you don't have a softshell, consider that first, 'cause they perform amazingly in the winter and alpine conditions.

Aviarome

Geez; the guy spends a few months in the UK, and he comes back thinking he's the queen or something. I'll get you a gown and tiara for this weekend.[/QUOTE]

I have a 100 mile trail race with 100,000 ft of elevation gain this weekend. Have you ever run that far? would the gown be strapless? I hope it matches my new shoosies. But I think a tiara would be a little overkill.

Thanks every one for the input I think that the softshell would be a bit heavy for my needs ( I generate alot of body heat). I would love to get into an Arc'tyryx hardshell i'll keep an eye on steep and cheap. I hear good things about wildthings too;)

I have the same opinions of arc'teryx as well. Expensive, but you definitely get your money's worth. Both my wife and I have jackets (both of us have a hardshell and fleece) from them and I also have a pair of pants. All are still going strong after nearly 5 years of abuse in both Alaska and New Zealand and still look like they could last forever.

Last edited:
Thanks every one for the input I think that the softshell would be a bit heavy for my needs ( I generate alot of body heat). I would love to get into an Arc'tyryx hardshell i'll keep an eye on steep and cheap. I hear good things about wildthings too;)

There is a difference between weight and breathability. A good softshell will breathe much better than a great hardshell. If you generate alot of body heat and sweat, you will generally "wet out" a hardshell sooner than a softshell.

Aviarome

There is a difference between weight and breathability. A good softshell will breathe much better than a great hardshell. If you generate alot of body heat and sweat, you will generally "wet out" a hardshell sooner than a softshell.

Aviarome

I am in the same boat as the OP in that I generate a lot of body heat. Even if it is pouring rain, I generally do not wear a shell when the temps are above 60F as I get just as wet from sweat as I would just getting rained on. About the only times I use a shell is in cool/cold temps.

I never really got into softshells. About the best alternative I have found for myself, is a thin merino wool top which still provides warmth when wet.

Last edited:
Mostly used my Marmot Precip as an outer layer for most hikes last Winter. I carry an Arc'teryx softshell as well, which is very comfy, but except when above treeline it's too warm when moving.

The Marmot Precip is on sale at http://www.sunnysports.com/ for $68 and free shipping right now.

Pile & Pertex - For Scottish Conditions

The Brits know a thing or two about climbing in cold, wet, and windy. I've had good luck with British Pile & Pertex softshells.

Check out Buffalo: http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/index.htm

Or Montane Extreme: http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/extreme

Also the Rab Vapour-Rise products: http://us.rab.uk.com/clothing/vapour-rise/

How do these work? Check out the Psychovertical article on soft shells: http://www.psychovertical.com/thebestsoftshell

The mountains in England and Scotland have similar conditions to ours here in NH. Not too tall. Lots of wind. Lots and lots of rain. Plenty of snow. Cold. And a dedicated and creative community of climbers with a somewhat different approach to clothing than we have here in the northeast US.

So, this may not answer your hardshell question, but it might give you a different perspective on the question altogether.

Stay warm.

Spiny Mouse

The thing is, I know i'm going to sweat ( alot) no matter what. I normaly wear just a single merino longsleeve down to about 0 for climbing and descending if there is minimal wind. I just need the windproof layer to stop the wind from cooling my core. The great thing about the hardshell as opposed to softshell is you just let the moisture freeze on the inside and shake it off. I actually used a womans ( thanks Jen) mt hardware sil nylon windshirt as my hardshell when in the trees quite a bit last winter. Even on Owls head in the middle of the night.
Softshell on the other hand seems to get soaked from the inside, freeze solid (if you take it off) and then is just extra weight to carry around.

So how about a ripstop sil nylon shell with pit zips and event sleeves and hood. :)