Hardshell Jacket Suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water Management

The thing is, I know i'm going to sweat ( alot) no matter what.

That's where a Pile and Pertex system excels. The pile wicks moisture off your skin while actually having relatively little contact area (the pile keeps the damp fabric from plastering onto your skin), so you feel relatively dry. The Pertex wicks the water off the pile and exposes the water to the outside air where it can evaporate. This water transfer happens much faster through Pertex than through the laminate-based fabrics.

The Pertex is not water proof, but it does block the wind. A Pertex 5 or 6 grade fabric can keep air intrusion below 5 cfm, which is the level at which a person starts to feel a draft within their clothes.

P&P garments don't pretend to keep you dry in a downpour. What they do do is keep you warm even if you get wet, let you sweat without getting soaked, dry very quickly, breathe like the laminates wish they could, and protect you from wind. You can climb in P&P while in a light rain and stay drier than wearing a laminate shell in the same conditions. In a heavy rain, you will get wet, but then sweat would soak you if you were climbing in a laminate anyway.

Another advantage of Pertex is that you can repair it. If you snag on a branch and rip the nylon (it's tough stuff, so this isn't easy to do), you can stitch the rip and not lose any performance from the garment. If you rip Goretex or another laminate, the garment is pretty much ruined.

I just picked up a MH Transition jacket from Sierra Trading Post. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I really like the MH Transition Zip T that I have. The jacket looks even better with a hood and full zipper. I tend to perspire heavily and find the Transition N2S fabric to be comfortable all winter long.

Softshell on the other hand seems to get soaked from the inside, freeze solid (if you take it off) and then is just extra weight to carry around. . :)

This is almost exactly what happend to me last winter. I wore a light long sleeve merino baselayer, had softshell on top and my pack. My back was sweating a lot I guess without me knowing and then some time later the back of my softshell was frozen solid :eek: Yep I was getting a chill. I thought about getting one of those osprey packs (atmos) for some ventilation (sp?) but maybe I just produce to much heat? Well I can't buy another pack, what I started to do was carry another base layer to change into. Love some of those products but I'm saving for a lighter boat ;) I love the outdoors....ps, I bought the pre cip at Marshalls real cheap, check those stores.

why not an umrella or poncho?

You can throw a large poncho over you and the backpack. It will protect you frok wind and allow plenty of ventilation for your sweat to evaaporate.
A large lightweight umbrella is great too. I think a combination of a highhly breathable rainjacket and an umbrella is the perfect combination.

Another vote for anything made from eVent fabric. I've been rockin the REI Shuksan jacket for the last 18 months, including at least one Catskill bushwhack in April, and it doesn't have a scratch on it. Breathes like it has it's own lungs, and I am amazed every time I put it on, no matter if it's raining out or not.

Edit: And for the record- I don't care how much you sweat, I sweat more. eVent is the only thing I've found that helps so far for year round conditions.

Last edited:
Edit: And for the record- I don't care how much you sweat, I sweat more. eVent is the only thing I've found that helps so far for year round conditions.

I'd love to go head-to-head on the Stairmaster ;) I put out nearly 2 liters yesterday in 75 minutes. I know this by weighing my shirts and towels (note they are both plural) before and after. Are you ever in Nashua, NH?

Tim

I'd love to go head-to-head on the Stairmaster ;) I put out nearly 2 liters yesterday in 75 minutes. I know this by weighing my shirts and towels (note they are both plural) before and after. Are you ever in Nashua, NH?

Tim

I accept this challenge, except I don't think I'd last 75 minutes on a stairmaster. hahahahaha

And you appear to be in Denver, but perhaps we could make a gentleman's arrangement... weigh clothes before and after. I wouldn't mind losing this one, actually.
A much greater fraction of your sweat goes into your clothing in New Hampshire than in Denver. Outside of New England, it tends to evaporate to cool the body, for those who were wondering why this apparently useless mechanism evolved ;)

I agree that eVent is wondeful stuff if you can afford it. I had a pair of eVent shoes that felt heavenly from a moisture standpoint. Unfortunately they hurt like heck from a support and cushioning standpoint.

Ooooh...SweatFest 2010! I'll make some popcorn.

:D

:eek:

I hope you like yours salty

Great suggestions everyone thank you very much. I have not reached a decision yet but I still have some time before the 21st ;)

I just got back from Wild Things in North Conway. They're having sale on most of their stuff. Now is the time to buy eVent shells. I think they were going for about $120.

If you are willing to pay for one, the higher end of arc'teryx jackets are both lightweight & durable in my opinion. I've had one for 6 years and it's the toughest piece of clothing I own. I probably won't replace it for another 5-10 years.

My arc'teryx pack lite is three winters old now...looks brand new..and has been one of my best gear investments ever..

I've got a Wild Things shell made out of eVent fabric. It breathes much better than Gore-Tex and I feel good about supporting a local company. I believe it's called the Alpinist jacket. I have the version without pit-zips.

This is the real deal

I am in the same boat as the OP in that I generate a lot of body heat. Even if it is pouring rain, I generally do not wear a shell when the temps are above 60F as I get just as wet from sweat as I would just getting rained on. About the only times I use a shell is in cool/cold temps.

I never really got into softshells. About the best alternative I have found for myself, is a thin merino wool top which still provides warmth when wet.

What? You're not wearing a Swannie Bushshirt? I should have bought one when I was there back in the 80's. Not high tech, but pretty bombproof from what I saw.

http://www.swanndri.co.nz/Mens/Bushshirts.htm