The cables are back!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALGonquin Bob

Reaction score
I just spoke with our Fed EX driver at work who hikes in the Adirondacks. He hiked the Wolfjaws, Armstrong and Gothics last weekend, and he said that there are nice new cables back in place on Gothics! Yeah!

Credit where due . . .

Pete Hickey and crew reinstalled the Gothics cables about three weeks ago. Hats off to Pete & Company!

G.

Many thanks, Pete and company, for all your hard work. Much appreciated.

EM
Ottawa, ON

I'm glad you cleared that up Pete.

It would only be a matter of time untill someone got hurt on the cables and wanted to take legal action on the installer.
And then some jackass would say "hey you know what" Pete Hickey installed those cables. :D ;)

Hey Pete, the pictures I saw showed you, your son, and some other folks doing all the bull work. Now maybe you had some supervision, but in my book, that makes YOU the installers. The worthy recipients of all praise, honor, and glory! Let the supervisor handle the legal affairs!

In my mind, this is what the good life is all about....passing it on. How splendidly wonderful that there are folks like you out there Pete and family. Warms my heart.

There will be many over the years who will appreciate your efforts and none, we hope, that will be hurt or have an inclination to bring an accident to the courts.....

Kudos!!

Re: Re: Credit where due . . .

Pete_Hickey said:
No... The DEC re-installed them. My son & I just went along for the ride.
Thanks for the correction. Methinks ye are bein' a bit modest.

Nice photos. And thanks to ALL who had a hand in reinstalling those cables!

G.

Rick said:
Who was that funnylooking clean shaven old guy in the pics?????:D :D :D :D :D

See??? I told you I wasn't the one who installed them.

I really didn't have much to do with it. The DEC had planned the whole thing. My son & I wnt in there, and huled 160 pounds of stuff up for Dan (JB caretaker, who also had a good load), then we put them in.

Man Oh man! How much did those packs weigh? They probably pakced the old cable out too! I seriously doubt though that the duct tape and hose will last very long. Did any new steel forks have to be driven into rock?
--Joe, 3102w

The packs were heavy. I can tell you that. Not sure how heavy, though. The frame helps a lot with the weight: putting it in the righe places so that it doesn'T bother the bones, but I really felt the weight in my thigh muscles.

No, the hose won't last as long as the steel cable. It really makes a difference on teh hands, though. I expect it'll make a big difference in the winter. We were only able to thread one section of the cable with the hose. Dan is going back with a lubricant.

Oh.. and bringing out the old cable.. <sheepish grin> Another day.

Suggestion: cut up the old cables into "reasonable" pieces. Leave a sign with the pieces asking descending hikers to voluntarily pack out a chunk. It'd be a nice way for the rest of us to show our appreciation for the new cables.

Pete,

How can the cables be cut? Will a hack saw work or do you need bolt cutters? I don't suppose anyone feels like packing up a cutting torch?

I helped a ham radio operator friend put up a tower once. We secured the tower with 3/8 inch, multi-strand cables. Those suckers took forever to cut through with a hack saw and every cut destroyed at least one hack saw blade!

Hacksaw will cut them. It'll take a long time, though. I don't know when time will be able to be devoted to that. The installation isn't complete yet, and that takes precedence.

The old removed cable is at least a half inch, but it's aluminium.