Heel Spurs - any suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtpig67

Reaction score
I have lived with off and on plantar fasciitis for my entire adult life which is not a great condition to have if you are a distance runner and hiker like me. Luckily, I have been able to keep it under control for the most part in recent years through various stretching techniques.

In the past year, I have developed a heel spur on my left foot which is common for those that suffer from plantar fasciitis. It is not severe and does not limit my activity, but is usually pretty sore and tender for about a day after a long run or hike.

Has anyone else had this condition? If so, what tricks or techniques have you found to be good for treating it?

Is there any particular pads or shoe inserts that you find that help?

If you haven't done so already go see a good podiatrist who should fit your for custom orthordics which can make a huge differance. At least they did for me.

Are you wearing night splints for the plantar fasciitis? Once things progress to the heel spur stage it's pretty tough to "undo", but the night splints are gold for plantar fasciitis, particularly if you find it's worst in the morning.

Xrays have just confirmed that I have a heel spur. Wondering how things progressed for you. Am waiting now for a podiatry appointment and want to go prepared. I have had the pain for about four months, I wear sensible shoes and supportive hiking boots. I use either Green Superfeet or a Birkenstok footbed that conforms to my foot. I take Aleve, do minor stretching, sit with my feet flat as I am working at my desk and have tried icing. Updates anyone on treatment for this for a hiking enthusiast who also have nerve problems related to chronic Lyme disease?

Orthotics made by someone who knows what they are doing. My last two experiences were not positive but have now found someone who has real potential. During acute phase, cortisone was useful and then a good course of non steroidals.

I used to have a pedorthist who was wonderful making my orthotics. Unfortunately he is no longer in practice.
This has truly been two long expensive years of "trial and ERROR"! I hope that with this new find I can now move on.

If you haven't done so already go see a good podiatrist who should fit your for custom orthordics which can make a huge differance. At least they did for me.

Same here. I suffered from both plantar fasciitis and heel spurs in the past. Have been wearing custom orthotics for over ten years now and haven't had a problem with either condition in years.