Northeast’s Fastest Known Times

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shizzy holds the record for hiking up from Lowes Store to Gray Knob ... 3 miles in under 19 hours

don't think 3 miles in 19 hours sounds impressive ?

try carrying Winter gear, two cases of beer, 100 moe. CD's, inflatable farm animals, 7 down jackets and enough food to survive a Siberian Winter ...

his pack weighed over 150 pounds ... two grown men had to get a running start to lift it off the ground

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1493683896067739382OWfUlH

Bump...

Just thought I'd bring this back up for timely winter inspiration...

Interesting that the supported three season ADK46 and supported three season NH48 records are only 7 minutes apart.

What is the exact definition of a official Presidential Traverse? Do you have to go over the summits of all the peaks or can you go around them? Are Madison and Jackson included? I'm sure this question is answered elsewhere on this site but I am too lazy to search. Please excuse me.

The minimal traverse goes over the 7 summits named for presidents - Madison, Adams, Jefferson, Washington, Monroe, Eisenhower and Pierce. Jackson is not Andrew but rather the NH State Geologist Charles Jackson. Some include Jackson as it is a 4K, and others include Webster as well for the "Presidential Range Traverse".

Tim

Certain hiking guidebooks and websites do have the "official" definition of the Presi Traverse but I think it might be tagging the peaks all the way from Madison down to Webster though there are peaks not named after the Presidents....like Clay, Franklin, Jackson and Webster...guess it's like hiking from Rt. 2 (Appalachia Parking) to Rt. 302 (Crawford parking) or vice versa....the "light" traverse is a great hike where you do not go on the summits but follow the Gulfside and Crawford (or vice versa) and associated trails...I might be slightly incorrect if so, I do know many members here who have more knowledge than I who will give you the correct info...I greatly enjoyed the "light" traverse a couple of years ago, as my legs were not hurting much from having to climb all those rocky peaks!! I m sure I would try a winter light also...PS we might have met on Monroe a few weeks ago Lefty E

Well what I am really asking is: what was the route that Adam Welt took when he accomplished is record breaking hike (or run)?

Last edited:
Well what I am really asking is: what was the route that Adam Welt took when he accomplished is record breaking hike (or run)?
Adam didn't do a Presidential Traverse, he did a Hut Traverse. The only criteria is to visit all the huts - route isn't specified, summits aren't needed. Also the "real" hut traverse should be in one calendar day, so folks generally start at midnight at Carter Notch.

Exact route can vary a bit, but generally 19 Mile Brook -> Osgood Ridge -> Gulfside -> Westside -> Crawford Path -> A-Z -> Twinway -> Garfield Ridge -> Greenleaf -> OBP -> Lonesome Lake. Did I get that right?

I think you're combining the first and last names of two different people, so some folks (me included) might not know what record-breaking hike you're referring to.

Sorry about that. I'm referring to:
Presidential Traverse:
- Ryan Welts
- 4 hours, 56 minutes, 14 seconds
- 7/02/11

Ferris, does anyone have more details about Jon Esper's W46? I was told the only support he had was being driven to trailheads and that he had a companion along on one of his days. Don't think he had folks breaking trail for him. I'm ready to stand corrected if that's not the case.

I read somewhere recently that Jonathan Esper's record was completed during a period when there had been a solid thaw - freeze cycle, and all trails were firm and did not need breaking. So that might not be a significant consideration. All props to both JE and Cory D. for awesome contributions to our fun!

Would enjoy learning about the conditions Esper faced. There were some 'mild' winters at that time, and many with heavy snowfalls.
One thing for sure, no such thing as Microspikes and snowshoes were primitive compared to what we all use now.

Um, I've been working on the 48 for about 36 years now, although for the first 10 years, I didn't even know how many 4000 footers there were, I just hiked when I had the time. This thread has me wondering though . . . is there a record for the longest time span to finish the 48? Something tells me I might be close. Sitting on 47 now so maybe if I drag my feet on Owls Head I can make the record book in a perverse (inverse?) sort of way.