Kilkenny ridge traverse 9/17 - 9/19 Unkown Pond, Killkenny Ridge, Starr King

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

North end of Unkown Pond Trail from Mill Brook road to Kilkenny Ridge Trail: Good shape it was very wet, and therefore slippery when we were there, no blow downs, easy water crossings, lots of moose activity.

Kilkenny Ridge Trail to Willard notch: 1 trail altering blow down inbetween the Bulge and Cabot, saw 4 people near the summit, went to check the spring but it was a long ways down. We didn't need water at this point so we decided the elevation loss wasn't worth the effort. After the Bunnell Notch Trail intersection the trail was basically a Moose Rut. We stayed at the established site at Willard Notch, I did find a mesh bag torn up with slobber all over it just across the trail as we were leaving the next day. Looks like Yogi got someone's food bag! We packed it out along with some other garbage we found.

Willard Notch to S. Weeks: LOTS of blow downs, all types, mostly large diameter, a few underneath ones were difficult with a pack on. This would be worthy of a chainsaw, although I don't mind the blowdowns. This area feels much, MUCH, more like wilderness then the Pemi. Wilderness, even with the cables and planks missing between the concrete abutments with the railroad going up to it. ;) The unreliable spring after N. Weeks was flowing well.

S. Weeks to Starr King trailhead: Great shape, a few blow downs after S. Weeks but a lot of trail work has recently been completed. Saw 2 people at the summit of Waumbek. Coming down Waumbek felt like we were on a super highway, clear, wide, very few obsticles.

Awesome trip with my 12 year old son Ford, great trip to avoid the crowds in the wilderness. Night and day from my 24hr Presi traverse (Pinkham to Crawford via AT over summits) 7 weeks ago.

Dave Simms NH41/48, NH6W/48, NE43/67 NEHH47/100

[email protected]

PS Could use a sponsor to join this site :)