Close encounter with a moose

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BF

Reaction score
Seeing a moose in the wild is always a thrill, but having one practically stomp on you is even…well, shall we say 'more exhilarating.'

It was about 6:30 on Sunday morning. I was in my tent, just barely awake, somewhere in the Pemi. You know, cold damp morning, tucked in a warm sleeping bag, eyes closed, but not quite asleep, and not wanting to get up yet. I was almost starting to fall back asleep when I heard the thumping vibrations through the ground, branches breaking to the right side of my tent, a pause, then a loud thump-thump in front of my tent door.

In a microsecond, I realized what had just happened. Moose! I lifted my head and thought 'I gotta get this tent door unzipped so I can see this guy (or gal).' Before I could take my next breath, he snorted, kicked the ground, and ran off in the opposite direction from where he came.

As I lay there, listening to him trot away, break branches, and disappear into the woods, I regretted that I had awoken cold at 4:00am and zipped my fly door shut. Jeez, that would have been quite a sight!

My second thoughts were that I was lucky to have been inside the tent at all. Usually, I sleep outside, but when I spread my ground cloth the night before, I decided against it. There were no stars. There was a cool breeze. Rain was in the forecast, and besides, I had a tent, so why not use it?

I believe my tent was in the moose's way and he jumped over it. If I wasn’t inside the tent, he could have kicked me or trampled over me. But, now I’m kicking myself for closing the fly door!