Smells you like in the woods

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, at the risk of being repetitive, another variation on a theme.
I rec'd a request to start a thead about smells you like in the woods. To get the ball rolling:

The wonderful smell of fresh balsams. Don't you just love it when hiking along and the hint of a breeze wafts eau d' balsam towards you ? Like your nose is throwing your body a party.

The cold, crisp smell of a really cold winter day.

The distinctive smell of heavy, wet snow falling.

Taking in the smell of your lunch or backcountry dinner after burning calories all day.

For dog owners, the smell of wet fur as your trail pooch sits next to you. :eek: You gotta be a dog owner to appreciate.

The funky,smell of wet decaying leaves in October and November.

The odor that a campfire(where permitted) deposits on my clothes, hair and gear is one of the best olfactory delights I know of...

...wet dog isn't so bad either...

...and Autumn...it just smells so dang good!

Balsam...hands down.

There is also that smell (or maybe a more complicated mix of sensation) in very dry, fairly calm air, with a slate gray overcast just before the snow starts falling.

Also agree about the leaves covering the ground in autumn!

There is anoth scent in the growing season that my father used to refer to as "new mown hay", although that may be more of an open field smell. (unless its the hay scented ferns?)

Last edited:
Fireweed has a beautiful, sweet scent. There is not much fireweed in the ADKs but when I do see (smell) some, it always reminds me of Alaska.

And, of course, balsam.

Pat T

I can't think of a smell I do not like in the woods.
I to love the smell of my wet dogs.
:cool::)

Perhaps skunk, but I smell those more in my backyard than on trails.

Hands-down: balsam. Reminds me of my Grandfather.

Wet dog smells pretty good to me too. :)

I love the days you can smell absolutely nothing but the clean air not long after a freshly fallen snow and when it's so cold your nostril hairs crisp up when you inhale.

I do like the earthy smell of wet leaves and mossy old logs, but even better to me is the smell of dried leaves underfoot. They just have this richness to them that wafts up when they're crushed underfoot.

Two evergreen aromas out West are reminscent of the balsam fir. In Cedar Breaks National Monument the predominant tree is ... not cedar ... it is juniper and they are so thick that the air has the fragrance of juniper berries, quite like the aroma of gin. In dense stands of ponderosa pine you get a nice pine smell with a heavy dose of vanilla fragrance.

Damp decaying leaves in the fall emit an agreeable odor.

I sometimes get in trouble at home when I cook because everything in my iron pan starts with olive oil and garlic ... but at a campsite it is a joy no one complains about.

Wintergreen leaves and berries (the berries are edible).

The ozone laced breeze which precedes a shower on a hot muggy day is both refreshing and a warning.

Baaaacon egggggggggggzzzzzzzzzz.... coffffffffffeeeeeee uuummmmmmmmm

I always know I'm 'back home' in the woods/forest as soon as I get under the canopy and the familiar smell of the forest duff becomes present. The same no matter where you are. And, a key reason to hike (esp ADK), is for the payoff of the Balsam Fir. It will get me to hesitate every time... it's why I'm there.

Stan said:
yap, yap...
I can't believe you left out the smell of Tequila after a hike! :p