For Maine prominence peakbaggers only - Mount Louise

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oncoman

Reaction score
Mount Louise is located on Québec/US border NE of Coburn Gore (#87 on ME top 100 prominence list). It is best approached from Québec side. Took me 90 min. to & from my car - woods very very open. Where it not for private club posting, would take less than an hour via ATV trail.

Found jar register on ground with only 2 entries, one dating back to 2002 with following

"Banged my knees
on fallen trees
while climbing mount Louise
Now if you please
I'll eat my cheese
And savor mount Louise"

signed ??? JR Paterson if I recall correctly.

Only other entry was by international border patrollers and was bilingual. Do these guys team up?

Also saw similar poem from same person on Burnt Mtn in Me near Cupsuptic Snow dated 2000 or 2002 where he mentioned that having now completed VT200 highest that he was now amusing himself in Maine.

Who is this guy?

Last edited:
Mount Louise is located on Québec/US border NE of Coburn Gore (#87 on ME top 100 prominence list). It is best approached from Québec side. Took me 90 min. to & from my car - woods very very open. Where it not for private club posting, would take less than an hour via ATV trail.

Found jar register on ground with only 2 entries, one dating back to 2002 with following

"Banged my knees
on fallen trees
while climbing mount Louise
Now if you please
I'll eat my cheese
And savor mount Louise"

signed ??? JR Paterson if I recall correctly.

Only other entry was by international border patrollers and was bilingual. Do these guys team up?

Also saw similar poem from same person on Burnt Mtn in Me near Cupsuptic Snow dated 2000 or 2002 where he mentioned that having now completed VT200 highest that he was now amusing himself in Maine.

Who is this guy?
That sounds suspiciously like the Paisley's

This from Caribou West:

This is Caribou West
We like it best
It's near the car
Hardee Har

This from Middle Baker

We didn't doddle
We didn't diddle
We came from South Pk
To the Middle

But they did most of their whacking in the early 90s

Good to see there may have been a successor to them.

Anyone else got any remembrances of canister poets?

Last edited:
John and Bea Paisley were almost done with the 3K's in 1990 when we got to know them. I don't think that they went on to other bushwhacking lists. We ran into them in North Conway a few years later and they'd immersed themselves in telemarking at that point but never mentioned pursuing other lists. I think Bea had had enough of that by then!

Pierre, I'm very surprised that you haven't heard of John R. Person! John is one of the most accomplished hikers in recent memory in New England. He has listed the 1,000 highest mountains in New England and he finished his list just last year. He is quite a bushwhacker and spent an incredible amount of time studying maps to come up with his list. He is allegedly the first to complete the 300 highest peaks in VT as well as the 300 highest peaks in Maine. He was close on the NH 300 highest, but he missed a few and Roy Schweiker recently became the first "unofficially official" finisher of that list. He still hikes a bit in these parts, too.

I love finding John's tiny long lasting pill bottle registers on these remote peaks. It's amazing how many of them still survive.

He was close on the NH 300 highest, but he missed a few and Roy Schweiker recently became the first "unofficially official" finisher of that list.
JRP was almost certainly first to finish JRP NH300 list
AB was probably first to finish AB NH300 list
RS was probably first to finish RS NH300 list
These lists differ slightly in what criteria are used, but all require restricted access hence people are unlikely to finish accidentally

Pierre--the bottle/entry was John's--when i was there some time back, i found the posting/vibe/border issue in the area oppressive enuff that i decided to "leave no trace" of my passing :) ........and since Albee has mentioned it, JP (a good guy, very modest about his hiking) has indeed set the bar high

be well
jim

Last edited: