Boundary Balds 3 Peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nadine

Reaction score
West Enfield, ME Avatar: Mt. Katahdin, Tablelan
I'm interested in hiking the 3 peaks of Boundary Bald. I was planning on using the trail guide printed approach route, and summiting the highest summit using the marked trail. Once I get up there, I'd like to summit the east and west peak also. The book I have describes an alpine zone on the summit, are all 3 summits like this? Can you see from one summit to the next, or do you need to bushwack between each one? How long is it between summits?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Nadine said:
I'm interested in hiking the 3 peaks of Boundary Bald. I was planning on using the trail guide printed approach route, and summiting the highest summit using the marked trail. ...
I have the Maine Mountain Guide, 8th edition, dated 1999. There is a long explanation on getting to the warden's cabin and the trail to Boundary Bald, but then at the very end a note was added "Update 6/00: The warden's cabin has been demolished and the trail is reportedly no longer hikeable."

Does anyone know what's the situation with this trail? I'd like to do the peak myself so I'd like to know, as I'm sure Nadine would. I guess as Roy suggests you could whack up from the road if you have to.

Thanks
Pb

I have the same AMC trailguide that lists the trail in poor condition, but I also have two others that list it in kind of good shape. In "50 hikes in the Maine mtns" (1999-3rd printing)by Cloe Chunn she states that the trail has been reblazed by local hikes. IN North Woods Walks by Christopher Keene (JUne 2003), he states the trail is blue blazed with a few spots of thick undergrowth that may obscure some of the blazes, but followable. The two wooden ladders are in marginal shape.

Both books say the road can be pretty rough, depending on current logging status. High clearance 4x4 suggested.

I'm figuring 4 miles one way, with two of that being on the "trail" and two being between summits.
If the going gets rough between peaks, I may follow Roy's footsteps and do West Peak by itself.

Nadine

nadine, spencer and pb,

i too have been wanting to head up that way for boundry bald.

i spoke with the road commissioner in jackman and he said he hikes it often and the trail is good, but the road is bad. he has agreed to lead a hike towards the end of this month. i'll let you know when we set a date but i am thinking either the 23rd or 24th. (we want to go on a good weather day to see the vftt!)

nadine - you found enchanted huh? i want to do a scouting trip this fall so we know where to go this winter for some skiing. can you give me any new information/directions?

Nice to hear that the marked trail is in good shape. Everyone seems to be in consensus about the road. the last 1.4 miles is not driveable by anyones opinion.

I have tentative plans for either October 14,15 18, or 19. I might be able to do it over the weekend 16, 17, but I'm getting 5 cord of firewood delivered and I'm not sure what day it's coming yet.

go, finding Enchanted was truly an enchanting experience :)
Go 11 miles past the bridge in The Forks and take the dirt road on the left. You should see a sign the minute you turn in, with the words Scott paper on the bottom. Drive a very short distance and take your first right. This dirt road is in pretty bad shape, bring your Toyota and a spare tire, just in case :eek:

Drive about 2.4 miles. You'll come to a large clearing. My guess is there used to be a big building in this spot. You should be able to see some old foundations on the right, turn right with the road, past another old foundation, park just up ahead at a three way intersection. An ATV sign on a tree reads "Coburn Mtn trail" start hiking. Go .7 miles to the top of the ridge on this ATV trail. At the cell tower look for a gate designed to keep ATV's out. Hop over the gate and you'll be on the hiking trail. The summit is .4 miles straight uphill, just follow the herd path. It's kind of grown over in a few places, but you should be able to sniff it out :D

Big cell solar station on the summit, and a new firetower. Enjoy the view, it's grand :) :)

Oh, I forgot to mention, the ratio of fir trees to square feet is quite high. Unless you like skiing *really* tight trees, and eating a little bark you may want to check out a different section of the mountain for ski potential.

seems as though there should be something skiable around there besides the ATV trail.

Hey GO

We would be interested in joining you if you plan the trip for the 23/24th. Would be glad to offer to drive the rough roads - have a Suburaban with a high clearance.

rbhayes (and spencer, nadine, pb) - i'll send you a pm once the date has been set.

the more the merrier!

Hi, all -
I was off climbing when this thread originated, and I just found it today. My travels in Maine brought me to Boundary Bald and Coburn, and I found them both to be easily found...and climbed. My trip report "Maine 2kp/FF 6pk" will give you fairly comprehensive directions. Nadine is hip....
JT