Rest Step Technique

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
When I was on Shasta in August, my guide kept trying to correct my rest step technique. She was trying to get me to punch in with my upper leg and rest my downhill leg. I was previously taught just the opposite, that the lower leg is supporting your weight while your upper leg momentarily rests.

Because I was so confounded on Shasta, I have been looking online for information, like on YouTube. I've found other people as confused as I, so thought I'd pose the question to my VFTT friends.

Here's an example of what I've found online:

"There is a video called "Alpine Mountaineering" with some of the best mountaineers in the business. In the video, they demonstrate the rest step which is basically putting all your weight over your forward leg as you step. Check it out. Very good video for beginners."

Followed by the response:

"That is a good vidio [sic].... but your wieght is on the BACK or lower leg. Thats what give the upper or forward bent leg the rest..."

Last edited:
The straight (back) leg gets the rest because you are using your bones instead of your muscles. The bent (front) leg gets a little rest because your weight is on your back leg. That's how I see it anyway. Some people think its a lot of BS but it seems to work for me. If anything, it keeps me in a good rhythmn even if it really doesn't rest anything so I use it if I'm not on super steep stuff.

Yes, I learned it the same way. It's not "one leg supporting your weight so the other can rest." It's "the bones on your straight back leg supporting your weight for a moment so the muscles can rest."

In a normal unconscious ("non rest step") stride, you don't quite lock out the back leg all the way. In the rest step, you consciously lock out the back leg and pause on the bones for a moment.

I remember reading the description in one of the old AMC guidebooks. It was basically as you stand up on the leg lock the knee back momentarily allowing the muscles to relax. I'm still looking for it, I'll post it when I find it.
Bob

It seems there are two methods to do a rest step. One is to lock the back knee and momentarily stop to rest the front and rear leg muscles. The second is to lock the front knee and rest the front muscles while pushing off from the back leg and pivoting over the front foot without the momentary stop. I use both, but the second method works best on gentle slopes when taking short steps.

the bones on your straight back leg supporting your weight for a moment so the muscles can rest

A friend of mine who is a professional guide taught me the rest step years ago in this exact manner. Another thing to try while ascending is to use the entire width of the trail. You ascend in a sort of elongated "S" pattern all the way up. Believe it or not ascending in this way actually does save some energy.

From Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills (7th Edition):

"The essence of the technique is to end every step with a momentary but complete stop, giving your leg muscles a rest. Swing one foot forward for the next step. Stand upright and exhale while letting your rear leg support your entire body weight. Straighten your rear leg so that you are supported by bone, not muscle. Feel the weight sink into your bones and foot. Now completely relax and soften the muscles of your forward leg, especially the thigh. This momentary rest, no matter how brief, refreshes the muscle. Then take a breath and swing your rear foot forward for the next step, and repeat the rest step with your other leg.

"Synchronize breathing with leg movements. Typically, take a new breath with each step up; exhale while pausing and letting your front leg rest as your rear leg supports your weight."

Another thing to try while ascending is to use the entire width of the trail. You ascend in a sort of elongated "S" pattern all the way up. Believe it or not ascending in this way actually does save some energy.
Well, it also means you are walking a longer distance, which is more energy. Which wins? I don't really know.

Well, it also means you are walking a longer distance, which is more energy. Which wins? I don't really know.

Traversing across a steep slope is less energy than the extra distance as the extra distance is nominal.

Just thought i'd answer your question so you didn't have to spend the energy on wikipedia. ;)

Traversing across a steep slope is less energy than the extra distance as the extra distance is nominal.

;)

I'm no biomechanical physicist, but I'm pretty sure moving from point a to point b uses the same amount of "energy", regardless. A direct line might get you there sooner, a nominal traverse later. The traverse feels like you've spent less energy, but it's because you used the same over more time with less intensity...I think.

I'd say point a to point b faster or slower is the same amount of energy. Point a to point c to point b is more energy as you've travelled further, although you're less spent as you've exerted that energy over a longer time. Then there's slope. Someone other than me should be describing this.

Anyway, to answer Tom's question...Whoever gets to the top first wins.

Last edited:
The extra distance is minimal to negligible.

Another piece of advice: use short steps on steep terrain, particularly when going downhill. The leverage is better resulting in less strain on the muscles. (This technique is used by Sherpa porters who carry heavy loads up and down steep trails.)

Doug

Last edited:
I learned how to rest step watching Peter Whittaker in an "Anyplace Wild" episode where he was climbing in S. America with a local guide and the editor of a woman's running mag. She was new to mountaineering, so he taught her (and I suspect many other aspiring mountaineers). I have an opportunity to thank him several years later when he (Peter) gave a talk at UVM as part of a lecture series sponsored by EMS.

There's a related thread above this topic (rest stepping) here:

Ellen - I learned to lock my rear leg briefly while climbing as part of the rest stepping technique. It works for me, and am not entirely sure why. I think part of it may be that I have to concentrate, and that effort takes my mind off the fact that I'm a hurting unit by the time I employ this method, and it takes my mind off my pain.

There was also a study done (and referenced in another thread) that "proved" that traversing a steep slope requires less effort overall than climbing it via the "fall line". I personally find a traverse to be faster as well.

I learned how to rest step watching Peter Whittaker in an "Anyplace Wild" episode where he was climbing in S. America with a local guide and the editor of a woman's running mag.

Kevin - you made me laugh with commenting that the rest step helps you think about something "else." I love the zen-like moments I have found in the mountains. We are fans of the old Trailside and Anyplace Wild videos and have a pretty complete collection of them. I'll have to check to see if that is one we have and then watch it again and again to help with the muscle memory and increase my confidence.

Thanks all for your responses. I think I have been (and was on Shasta) doing a proper rest step. We had a good example of the "turtle and the hare" results of it on Whitney a few years ago.

One other note: the rest step is a technique and not a pace. You can go as fast as you want or as slow as you want, and as long as that back leg is straight and the weight is supported by the bones, you get a benefit of a rest.

Aviarome

I learned how to rest step watching Peter Whittaker in an "Anyplace Wild" episode where he was climbing in S. America with a local guide and the editor of a woman's running mag. She was new to mountaineering, so he taught her (and I suspect many other aspiring mountaineers). I have an opportunity to thank him several years later when he (Peter) gave a talk at UVM as part of a lecture series sponsored by EMS.

There's a related thread above this topic (rest stepping) here:

Ellen - I learned to lock my rear leg briefly while climbing as part of the rest stepping technique. It works for me, and am not entirely sure why. I think part of it may be that I have to concentrate, and that effort takes my mind off the fact that I'm a hurting unit by the time I employ this method, and it takes my mind off my pain.

There was also a study done (and referenced in another thread) that "proved" that traversing a steep slope requires less effort overall than climbing it via the "fall line". I personally find a traverse to be faster as well.

The AMC taught me the lock knee rest method alternating both legs years ago, and also traversing steep slopes. Over the years both techniques have served me well.
My only problem is sometimes I forget to do it and it's always been a blessed relief when it comes to mind.

Just thought i'd answer your question so you didn't have to spend the energy on wikipedia. ;)

Zig zagging would have you expend more energy in the long run. However, the decrease in slope caused by the increase in the horizontal distance to climb that same height causes the average amount of energy per unit measurement of distance to be less, which is why it feels easier.

Because you are not exerting yourself as heavily at any one moment, it probably is actually easier on your body, despite the increase in energy expenditure.