What Do You Want From Your Gear?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you want from your gear?

• Total voters
I want it to do its job and hold up well. Occasionally I'll splurge, but most often I search for the best buy. I've seen some tech shirts that have different color fabrics which make the shirt look like the wearer has been sweating up a storm and rejected the product for that reason alone. I don't like how I look in pastel colors, preferring darker, richer hues. Last year I did buy a pack in a color that I don't like (teal) and have had trouble liking the pack as much as I would have if the color was different (it also came in red but was out of stock), so I guess I am a slave to my sense of fashion.

I want it to work well, and I don't want to pay a fortune for it. I couldn't care less what I look like out there; half the time I'm completely mismatched. The trails aren't the place to be a fashionista. (Alex and Sage, on the other hand, care about matching colors and they both wish I would wear more hiking dresses and skorts).

I wouldn't always equate Walmart with value, and I'm not bashing Walmart. To me, value equals bang for the buck. While a day pack from Walmart may be cheap, it probably won't last very long so I'd just call it cheap. However, I do have a 10 year old LED headlamp that I got at Walmart that I use all of the time, so.....:rolleyes:

Real value for me is grabing a fairly heavy, faded, stained, 20 year old day pack with the EMS logo still X'd out in black ink because it came from the EMS bargain corner and was 60% off - out of my gear bin for a hike and smiling at the memories from previous hikes with it. Now THAT'S value.

Almost all of my gear has the brand logo X'd out, and none of it is ultralight. I get more excercise this way as my body isn't new or ultralight either!

Where's the option for gear that will last?

For the past 5 summers, I have had employment that has required me to spend a significant number of nights in remote areas in the woods. (This summer, I only slept inside a total of 5 nights!) Add this to the numerous excursions into the backcountry that I take during the rest of the year, and my gear certainly takes a beating.

So what I really like is gear that holds up to heavy use. I generally go through a pair of hiking boots every 2 to 3 years, and after 4 or 5 years of use, some of my packs are starting to show significant damage to the point of being beyond repair. Socks often don't last me longer than a season, and the same goes for hiking pants. T-shirts tend to last a bit longer. Even one of my stoves is starting to show it's age.

Primarily I buy what what works (or what I think will work) but am not opposed to making it or altering something less expensive if that will do the job. It's amazing how many things you can make from an old ski bag. :D

I can be rough on gear, so anything I have has to be able to take a beating. I look a the clearance racks first, then the rest of the store. The last polypro shirt I bought was at Old Navy for $10. I find that you can get good gear without going broke, you just have to look.

I research and then purchase. I'm not looking at the most popular options. There is something in me that likes to get a bit quirky if it means that I believe I'm getting the right performance out of the gear. So, sometimes, I pay top dollar. But most of my gear is older than my kids and it's still working great. :):):)

It absolutely has to be functional.

I usually don't buy cheap unless it's great gear on sale. It seems each and every time I buy some inexpensive item that looks like it has true potential, I live to regret it.

Most of my gear is now purchased at REI so that I can return it if it does not perform.

I also read everything about gear that is posted on the boards to help me make my decisions.

Last edited:
Your choices don't include "Undying Devotion" or "Unquestioned Loyalty", which I would select. Gear needs to understand who's the boss and not try to strike out on it's own. I did select confidence, which is a good description of what I'm looking for from my gear. (insert MSR snowshoe discussion here...;))

Last edited:
it needs to work, be comfortable and be durable/last. I don't usually care about color/appearance and primarily shop off of the clearance rack.

DSettahr said:
Where's the option for gear that will last?

Can I get a big a-men!

DSettahr said:
(This summer, I only slept inside a total of 5 nights!)

Me=jealous.

Little Rickie said:
Interesting, cbcbd seems like quite the diverse person of many interests?

Maybe Doug thought it was a pay-per-vote type affair? :rolleyes: