Square Ledge Branch Junction With Square Ledge Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyohman

Reaction score
Last weekend I hiked a convoluted route to cover some trails I had never tread. The route was Old Mast->Wonalancet Range->Walden->East->Dicey's->Passaconaway Outlook->Dicey's->East->Square Ledge->Old Mast to return. I recommend the north outlook. Warning, .3 and 200 feet elevation loss from the top. Also, two thumbs up for Square Ledge from its junction with the Passaconaway Cutoff to the Old Mast Road. I liked the quiet. While returning, I did not see the Square Ledge Branch junction with the Square Ledge Trail. 1HappyHiker seemed to have no problem finding it last November from Oliverian.

http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33268

Where is it? The WODC was at Ferncroft last weekend. I mentioned it to them. Apparently someone else maintains it. Guessing USFS, but don't know who because I don't have my AMC guide and don't have time to look at the WMNF GIS data to see if it lists the trail maintainer. Does anyone know who maintains it? No big deal to me, but it might be to someone who wants to hike a loop using Oliverian, Passaconway Cutoff, Square Ledge, Square Ledge Branch, & Oliverian.

WODC was grateful for the 411. I'm sure they will act on it.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe the map below might be helpful?

SqMap.jpg

It's a good start. Thx.

:)

I should have been clearer. What is nearby the junction? Any unique landmarks? I saw no signs.

I did a similar loop on Saturday, skipped Passaconaway because of a late start but otherwise the same.

I seem to recall seeing a sign for that trail but nothing was really noteworthy near it.

I should have been clearer. What is nearby the junction? Any unique landmarks? I saw no signs.
Hmmm! Now you're testing the limits of my limited memory!:rolleyes::)
I don't have a mental image of what the junction looked like, nor do I recall if there was any signage there. You might consider giving Steve Smith a call (1-800-745-2707). Most likely he would be able to be of assistance.

The western end of the SL Branch ends at the SL trail just a few steps south of a significant stream crossing.

Yes, the Branch is maintained by the USFS, and may not have been brushed for some time. On the other hand, WODC has recently brushed the SL trail, so the contrast is likely to be significant, making it easy to miss the junction. But the stream is impossible to miss. It's a pretty spot.

Thanks

Great information all around. My conclusion is I am blind. I know where to look next time. I remember the stream crossing.

I did the Square Ledge loop from the Kanc (up Oliverian Brook, return Passaconaway Cutoff) a couple years ago and found signs at each intersection.

Here's the sign for the Square Ledge Branch trail from the Oliverian Brook trail.

SquareLedge%20(6).JPG

And this is the sign that points to Square Ledge from the Square Ledge Branch trail intersection.

SquareLedge%20(7).JPG

Finally, on the other side of the Square Ledge trail is the intersection with the Passaconaway Cutoff. FYI... that's not my water bottle.

SquareLedge%20(19).JPG

We did Square Ledge back in June. Glad to hear that some work has been done on the Square Ledge Trail, as we found it very unused and barely discernable in some spots back then. We have it on our list for "a better day" since fog kept us from enjoying the view back in June.