Mt Moriah - Stony Brook Trail to Carter Moriah loop Oct 9 2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Yesterday I went up Stony Brook Trail, took Carter Moriah Trail north over Mt Moriah and followed it down into Gorham. I walked the road back to the car. I don't know how widely known it is, but there's a shortcut from the Carter Moriah trailhead back to the Stony Brook Trail trailhead. A footbridge crosses the Peabody River almost immediately where you exit Carter Moriah. It shaves a good mile off the walk back to Stony Brook Trail if you want to do the loop; you can avoid passing through the center of Gorham altogether this way. The whole loop is then about 11 miles.

There were strong blasting winds starting at around 3000 ft. That was unfortunate. No rain, though, and it was partly sunny.

The entire route was pretty wet and muddy, esp above 3000 ft. Mud was deep and in many cases hard to avoid. It rained a lot last week, I believe, so that might have made things worse.

I don't think the AMC WMNF describes the descent of Carter Moriah into Bangor St very well. I enjoyed taking an alternate route back down, but it wasn't as easy as it appeared on paper. The "ledges" mentioned in the guide can be very steep, very much like a slide, in sections. Maybe it's not very slippery, but I was carrying a pack and the going was a bit rough.

I saw a couple of small slabs of ice on the trail just north of Mt Moriah. First ice of the season, for me.