Black Mtn: Stretching half day hike to a full day

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
I'm too tired to posting a report tonight, so I'll just post one pic, for a taste for tomorrow. :) Hope you like it...its prob one of my favorite foliage shots of the year for me.

1042364840_WLcFr-L.jpg

See you all tomorrow!

That's a beautiful shot! Black Mountain has some great autumn colors!

I see the Moose looks rime-free. Quite a difference from Saturday!

Ok, finally..

Well I'm still tired, but it is time to whip out this trail report. I've been wanting to hike Black Mtn for awhile now, so off I went with my friend Brian, and his wonderpuppy Hunter. I hiked Mt Pierce with them earlier last month, and its cool to see how much the dog has grown since then. He has grown a couple of bad habits since I last saw him, including getting into my turkey bacon sub when I wasn't looking! Such is life I guess. haha

Anyhoo....we took the Chippewa trail to the summit, and then back, while kind of bushwhacking around to check things out. For example, the picture above was taken from a ledge off the trail. The hike was a shade over 4 miles with all the bushwhacking, but we stretched a half day hike into a day excursion. The weather was absolutely perfect...a cool breeze, warm sunshine, low 60s, and extremely clear visibilities. You shall see in the following pictures!'

After descending from the trailhead, we could see a nice beaver pond with Sugarloaf mtn in the back
1042312403_TGCoU-L.jpg

lovely foliage, peak or slightly past
1042314865_g2sNo-L.jpg

1042315221_uAHPc-L.jpg

entering the red pine forest, really neat!
1042319251_oKARQ-L.jpg

first viewpoint, off trail...one of my new fav viewpoints. This was worth the hike
1042319794_cwGZm-L.jpg

1042320400_9y6hG-L.jpg

1042321476_tyHEb-L.jpg

Looking back into VT
1042322839_nwod7-L.jpg

getting up to the summit
1042324608_XG4ss-L.jpg

foliage is past peak on the other side...
1042330613_tXo6k-L.jpg

1042334142_6ZUHr-L.jpg

such a great view over to Franconia Ridge, Kinsmans etc

cont
1042334408_aQiE5-L.jpg

It has begun...Hunter is starting to enjoy the views!!
1042335792_HktVg-L.jpg

...till it was sleepy time
1042341003_7DaHT-L.jpg

close up, you can see some rime on franconia ridge
1042338941_KJ8Zo-L.jpg

jaw dropping view over to moosilauke
1042340228_UivEd-L.jpg

Liberty, Flume, and Wolf framed by some lenticulars
1042342360_GboUG-L.jpg

now heading down. the trail bypasses this major scramble, but we wanted to go down it anyways. it was fun!
1042352813_wxKq6-L.jpg

now, back at the best viewpoint, from the morning....
1042358069_xcdrf-L.jpg

1042356634_oHvvi-L.jpg

check out those houses...must be some neat views!
1042359660_nwmBt-L.jpg

patience is virtue....
1042367564_JggNJ-L.jpg

on the way back, we checked out the lime kilns.
1042370373_AukDN-L.jpg

and finally, up a taped path, there was a small stream, with attractive cascades. this was another nice surprise

1042371220_WHkNc-L.jpg

This hike was prob the prettiest hike of the year. There are views all over the place, and with a little bit of exploring, you can get so many unique perspectives. Plus, there is history abound on the lower slopes, with the lime kilns, and cellar holes. I will be back here some day. Hope you liked the pics!
http://grouseking.smugmug.com/New-Hampshire/2010/10-10-10-Black-Mtn/14135145_6ZT7S#1042311026_4GgD8

Phil . . . great stuff! It looks like you really did "fall" into some great Fall Foliage there on Black Mountain!:)
That really is a nice destination, Summer, Fall, Winter, or Spring!

Thanks for posting!

That's a beautiful shot! Black Mountain has some great autumn colors!

I see the Moose looks rime-free. Quite a difference from Saturday!

Thanks very much! And you got that right...no ice on the Moose, though I could see some over on Franconia Ridge.

Beautiful shots!

We hiked Black (Benton) about four years ago on New Year's Day -- its a spectacular peak in winter, too.

Thanks Sabrina. :) I will def be back. Some of the ledges below the summit were my favorites I have ever visited. I will def be back!

Spectacular trip and photos. Thanks for sharing.

THanks!!

Phil . . . great stuff! It looks like you really did "fall" into some great Fall Foliage there on Black Mountain!:)
That really is a nice destination, Summer, Fall, Winter, or Spring!

Thanks for posting!

I was lucky to catch the tail end of the colors. Granted, I def helped the pics along a little with some minor color tweaking, but the colors were still great. Overall, I think the colors have been somewhat lackluster this season, so it was nice to see the brighter shades.

I liked the zoomed-in view of Knox, Butterfield, Signal and Spruce mtns in Vermont.

Great views and photos! No wonder you stretched it into a full day. If it were me I probably would have leaned back on those ledges and joined Hunter.

We hiked it a few years ago and met up at the trailhead with some mighty grungy "miners" who had dug up a good collection of crystals.

Last edited: