Stating the obvious- Traction Required

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Just a reminder that some sort of traction for ice should be added to your day pack. I went with Earl and Sue and others on a great fall Wildcats hike on (Sat 10/9) and we encountered patches of ice on the ledges at or around 3500 feet. We worked around them but very soon its not going to be optional.

Saw small bits of ice near the summit of Killington yesterday. One hiker coming down had warned us, saying he slipped on the way up and then on the way down in the same place.

Of all things, I fell down a flight of wooden stairs on the summit, right in front of a bunch of tourists. They were wet and muddy (the stairs, that is) and I guess I was overly confident: hit my head, wrenched both shoulders, and bruised my hip. It was the talk of the trail for a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have an old pair of micro-spikes I save for this time of year. They still give me some traction but knowing that whatever I wear will take a beating on the rocks I save my Hillsounds for a bit later in the season.

I took a really nasty fall last year in the fall in the col between Pierce and Ike. There was a thin layer of snow on the ground and I couldn't tell that there was ice under it.

It's nice to have that lightweight extra bit of security.

Of all things, I fell down a flight of wooden stairs on the summit, right in front of a bunch of tourists. They were wet and muddy and I guess I was overly confident: hit my head, wrenched both shoulders, and bruised my hip. It was the talk of the trail for a bit.

You did stroll away without any indication that you were in pain. :cool:

(At least 'till out of sight of the tourists.) :eek:

Right??? ;)

Good advice, Peakbagger. Sometimes folks need to be hit over the head with the obvious.

Thanks for posting!

;)

You did stroll away without any indication that you were in pain. :cool:

(At least 'till out of sight of the tourists.) :eek:

Right??? ;)

Well, yes. Sort of. As I was bumping down the stairs I was saying "Okay, Okay, Okay." When others asked whether I was hurt, I said, "I dunno, maybe." (The worst of it was, I had needed to pee, but was able to stop most of the flow started by the startle effect.) I stood there a minute or two to gain my wits back with the excuse that I was warning the tourists of the danger. Several times after that, further along the foot path, I heard the warning issued by others to be "careful on the stairs up there, someone just fell!" I was glad they didn't say "Some hiker just fell" or even more, an "elderly woman with canes just fell."

I'm sore today but the bruising isn't yet as bad as I expected.

Last edited:
little skims of ice on Whiteface/Passaconaway yesterday. nothing you couldn't get around but, you never know

got totally turned around from getting the saddleback horn last year because of no traction in Oct.

The only thing "required" is common sense. Last November we had some pretty steamy days, glad I didn't bring traction then... However, this is what happens when you leave common sense home. Oh, and this too. :p

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
There was a fair amount of ice on the ledges on Mt Jackson yesterday. Not quite time for the spikes, but they are going in my pack.

Has anyone tried putting short screws in the bottom of their boots, eight or so? I read the early 46rs did that to their LL Bean boots.

Thanks for the reminder. Last November I hiked Kinsman Ridge on an Indian Summer day. Because it was so warm below, a number of the hikers I met had decided to leave their traction devices behind, and were struggling along the icy trail. I was happy I had my Yak Trax Pros and poles. Although some disparage them, I find the advantage of Yak Trax over Microspikes is that you don't have spikes wearing down on the sections between ice patches.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried putting short screws in the bottom of their boots, eight or so? I read the early 46rs did that to their LL Bean boots.

Search on this site for "screwboots" or "screw boots", I know there has been a lot of discussion about this.

As for Microspikes, mine have been in my pack since August when I went up on Franconia Ridge. Might have been a tad early then...:rolleyes:

Search on this site for "screwboots" or "screw boots", I know there has been a lot of discussion about this.

As for Microspikes, mine have been in my pack since August when I went up on Franconia Ridge. Might have been a tad early then...:rolleyes:

You should find a lot of info on screw boots. It's the winter equivalent to the neoprene footwear craze recently discussed for the summer crowd. I'd be surprised if they don't even say how long & how wide the screws should be.

Yesterday, I ran into several sections of steep ledge covered in glare ice between the Imp Shelter and North Carter that would have been utterly impassible without traction (Microspikes or better). Even with the Microspikes we (the dog and I) really had to take our time and take it in short sections.

I went on a hike down Mt Field today 10/25 via Avalon Trail. The upper half ot the trail was one steady ice flow. I am glad I had traction as it would have been tough without it.

If you have micro's it's perfect time for them. I had the full crampons yesterday & I ended up putting them on and off several times while people with micro's wore them from 3500 feet & up all the time.

Last edited: