Teapot, Savage, East Spruce info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean

Reaction score
I'm heading for the Great North Woods this weekend and I'm looking for the easiest way to bag those 3.

From what I could find the western approaches are shorter but way nastier (especially around East Spruce). I'm leaning towards an approach from the logging road west of Strafford Bog Pond but have no idea what the conditions are like on that side.

Any information or tips would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Use a compass bearing of 254 degrees. (Just kidding.)

Actually, you're in for a challenging bushwhack. If you really want to get all three in one hike, you'd best put a car on the west side and descend via the notch between Savage and East Spruce. Not sure how you would get over to start on Teapot - car spot would be preferable, but the woods aren't too friendly when you get up high on those three northern mountains. Teapot and Savage were 2 of the toughest 3ks that I encountered in NH, and I hear Goback in between them isn't a walk in the park, either. The going got much easier between Savage and the col to the south, and East Spruce was much easier at that point.

I did Savage and East Spruce from the east, and Savage was quite the struggle. I couldn't find any trace of the old road heading up to the col that the topo map shows. The descent off of East Spruce heading east was pretty easy, but you will run into some private property issues in there, so beware.

That's all the help I'm going to give you - these are some mountains that you will just have to earn your stripes on.

Marc, Ethan and John did Teapot>Savage and the reported nasty woods between the Goback-Savage col aparently never materialized. Marc went so far as to call it easy. There is a snomo trail that comes up between Savage and E. Spruce col, but really does not offer much help. The woods from Savage to that col were not bad from what I remember, but there was a couple ledges one needed to watch out for. The col up to E. Spruce was not bad at all. E. Spruce had a few small bumps we had to search around for the high point. I think we hit them all to call it good. IIRC Marc said it took them about an hour to get from Teapot to Savage.

Brian

Thanks for the info.

I'll be whacking solo so spotting a car is not an option at this point. I'm also trying to avoid private property issues. My main objective is Savage since I'm almost done with the NH100 but I don't want to leave no stragglers behind (from the 770 list) if possible.:D
I have no problem earning my stripes either.

Will I have any trouble if I car camp on Mason Road or Smart Mill road?