Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: when nature calls

I thought we were talking s..T here.
    Last edited by Little Rickie; 10-15-2010 at 04:38 PM. Reason: More truth in that than anyone wants to admit too.
    Peace

"How one parses a question tells you as much about the person as how they answer the question."

Oldee Won Balogeena

I hate to think what Sheryl Crow would do in this case...

Quote Originally Posted by jniehof View Post
    I've heard, and it seems borne out by experience, that squatting seems to be a lot less messy than sitting and results in much less TP need.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    Squatting is better than sitting. Not only is it less messy, the lower digestive tract works better when squatting. Most of the world squats; only the Western world has developed the peculiar equipment for sitting.
    I third this. Squatting is the key. Get into a nice low stance with the cheeks widely spread and you concentrate the mess to a small area. Because of this I can get by with using the TP I use and mentioned - twigs, rocks, snow cones, etc. Since you don't make as much of mess around a bigger surface area you don't need to have TP that covers a wide surface area - like leaves.

Seriously, it has been almost 3 years since I last took any TP with me into the outdoors.
    ...and it's not for lack of need, because I am guaranteed to have to go at the base of any climb I do (or during it, or after it).
    Last edited by cbcbd; 10-15-2010 at 10:59 PM.
    Doug

of course when the Holidays comes.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cenAD...eature=related
    " The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator" -Louis Pasteur

Quote Originally Posted by cbcbd View Post
    because I am guaranteed to have to go at the base of any climb I do (or during it, or after it).
    Okay, serious question, really ... what do climbers do when they have to go while they're up on the rock? Especially if it's #2?
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
    Okay, serious question, really ... what do climbers do when they have to go while they're up on the rock? Especially if it's #2?
    On big walls (ie multiday climbs) the courteous ones carry poop tubes (think capped PVC). Not sure if they are mandated in some areas or not. There's the wag bag thingies, and sometimes bombs away.....

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/th...4795#msg804795

Some harness have releasable tether's in the back so the important parts can be freed to do their duty while still tied in. Most female specific harnesses are built this way so we can pee too

Mud falcons.

There's Imodium, which I should have remembered for Rainier . Although, there was something special about a Blue Bag Movement at 14,200' in a steam vent ice cave...
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

I think the little baggies made for picking up dog poop (is that what is meant by wag bags?) would be thinner and use less plastic, i.e. better for the environment than ziplocs. I've never used them for myself, but after reading this I think I may.

And as some have said, we're preaching to the choir, because aren't we supposed to go way off the trail anyways? I always am disappointed when I see that someone hasn't even bothered to leave the trail.
    In the mountains, God has built a monument to Himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Umsaskis View Post
    I think the little baggies made for picking up dog poop (is that what is meant by wag bags?) would be thinner and use less plastic, i.e. better for the environment than ziplocs.
    Unless you have a dog (you may, I don't) you aren't going to have those bags handy. I keep a supply of Ziplocs around for their intended use, and the ones which are easily cleaned get reused several times and then I use them to collect garbage (including TP) while hiking. If I bought a package of the dog poop bags, how much additional plastic would I be buying? The way I do it, the answer is zero. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

I think folks fall into 2 distinct categories when it comes to human waste in the backcounty.

1. Those folks that typically pull the chain without looking!

For those folks, the “WAG” (Waste Alleviation and Gelling) Bag is a good solution.

2. Those folks that typically pull the chain after a thorough inspection!

For those folks, a 2 ziplock bags and solar dehydration may be a better alternative. I wouldn’t recommend reusing the ziplocks though.
    Enjoy your best

Those bags and their openings seem like a small target?
    Peace

"How one parses a question tells you as much about the person as how they answer the question."

Oldee Won Balogeena

The bags we were given to use on Shasta in August had actual targets printed on the paper. I hadn't seen that before. It added to the "fun."
    Ellen

Volunteer Maintainer: East Pond Trail

"Through winter-time we call on spring/And through the spring on summer call/And when abounding hedges ring/Declare that winter's best of all/And after that there's nothing good/Because the spring-time has not come... William Butler Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by erugs View Post
    The bags we were given to use on Shasta in August had actual targets printed on the paper. I hadn't seen that before. It added to the "fun."
    Gives a different visual to "bombs away."
    Peace

Oldee Won Balogeena

Quote Originally Posted by Little Rickie View Post
    Those bags and their openings seem like a small target?
    There is a technique if your aim's no good, but it requires a bit of dexterity and a good working knowledge of your where-abouts...easier to stop, drop and pick up with a reversed bag, dog walking style.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.