Trail Breaker For Hire

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FARMER

Reaction score
With winter rolling in and the economy the way it is I figured that I should utilize my strongest job skills toward earning a living. Two services are available: Have the trail broken out before you arrive at the trailhead or you can watch;) I have a resume and references.

PM if interested:)

I'd expect at least an out and back broken trail, so I wouldn't be around to watch! :D

I'd put an ad up at the highland center if I were you!! ;)

I'm not sure if you are serious, but in NY, you have to get a guide license to charge money for hikes.

I think it's only if you charge for profit. I don't think you don't need a license to guide people on hikes where you charge simply for reimbursement costs incurred as a result of travel, meals, lodging, etc.

Also, your services have to be available to the public at large. I'm guessing maybe this is why camp counselors who lead summer camp groups on hiking, camping, and backpacking trips don't need to be licensed, even though most camps have fees to attend?

EDIT: Additionally, the NYS Guide Regulations say that you have to be providing services that direct, instruct, or aid another person in another activity. Trail breaking certainly isn't directing or instructing anyone, but it could be aiding people. Definitely a bit of a gray area! :)

Last edited:
Hey that group that wants to do a winter one day presi traverse, then a one day pemo loop the next day in February will probably be a good group to contact. Backpacker is supposed to be covering it so they probably have a budget ;)

Also, your services have to be available to the public at large. I'm guessing maybe this is why camp counselors who lead summer camp groups on hiking, camping, and backpacking trips don't need to be licensed, even though most camps have fees to attend?
No, that's not the reason. Guiding for recognized childrens' camps was specifically exempted from the licensing requirement because the small group of semi-politically connected guys who wrote the regulation were a combination of long established leaders of both the Boy Scouts the NYS Outdoor Guide's Association. I worked for several years with the NYSOGA president who was primarily responsible for both the way the regulation was written, as well as the guides' licensing exam. It is no coincidence that the majority of the questions on the exam come directly out of the BSA Fieldbook.

The argument was there is no way that the number of hired (low paid) youth camp counselors could go through the licensing process for the camps to have viable outdoor programs. The compensating factor is such camps are heavily regulated by the NYS Dept of Health anyway. The set of health regulations is extensive and strict. The annual health inspection is a major event for the camp, being formal and thorough for both in-camp and out-of-camp (trek) activities.

For high adventure 5-day wilderness treks leading young scouts out of BSA camps, the BSA has a long established 8-day training program specifically for their trek leaders working at Adirondack BSA camps.

Last edited:
Good to know! Thanks. I didn't see anything in the regulations about childrens groups.
From SECTION 11-0533: "Employees of children’s camps as defined in subdivision one of section one thousand four hundred of the public health law shall be exempt from the provisions of subdivisions one and two of this section, provided such activities are carried out within the scope of said employment."

I'd expect at least an out and back broken trail, so I wouldn't be around to watch! :D

I'd put an ad up at the highland center if I were you!! ;)

NO extra charge for out and backs where they are mandatory or commonplace. ie: Tom, Field, Willey. or Carrigain but an out and back on Hale, Zealand, Bonds Traverse or Cats, Carters, Moriah is going to cost you.

will you climb hard ice routes so it's already pegged out for me?