A New Year, Mother Nature and a Dog

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandana4me

Reaction score
Marley (my dog) and I kicked off our 2010-11 hiking season on Wednesday. Being that neither of us likes the hot weather, we wait until after the leaf peepers leave (and the caretakers at the shelters) to embark on journeys in these hills. With a spectacular day forecasted for Wed, we (I) decided to start at Webster Cliffs, as this is one of my favorite hikes. Packed with enough food to get us thru to Sunday, we departed with specific instructions that I would call when we are finished going in whatever direction we decide to take. It was with the understanding that a Nor’easter was coming on Friday, and we were going to weather the storm in woods! I thoroughly enjoy being in the mountains when Mother Nature wants to show her furry. This is always a test of my will and experience as a backpacker.

We strolled along Webster Cliffs on Wed, just taking in the inspiring beauty that this day would offer. A night at Nauman in the tent without the tent fly (a breathe taking star lit night), and then a lazy start to the Southern Presidentials. With the clouds starting to form in the early afternoon, I was deciding on the Perch for the night or the Davis path. I decided to take the Davis path and then headed down on the Rocky Branch trail. We bypassed Rocky Branch shelter #2, as it was in a horrific state of needing repairs (built in skylights w/o glass). Knowing that just a short jaunt down the trail is a legal campsite, we set out.

Mother Nature: Unleashed her furry on us Thursday night but we were comfortable in the tent. We awoke Friday to a steady rain and now the fun would begin. I ate a full breakfast, as I knew this day was not going to be as simple as just walking down a trail. I was close enough to the river to hear her roaring all night! I had 3 ways out of here, down the Rocky Branch to Jericho road, up the Rocky Branch and down to 16 or back on the ridge. Well none of these scenarios would work. Each direction I took came with a river crossing that was impassable. I attempted to cross the river twice and both times the angry river let me know who was in charge! Now I had boxed myself in other than a bushwhack back to the ridge. With my boots full of water, I knew I was staying another night. I lowered my head in defeat as I strolled back to Rocky Branch #2. I knew this would be the best place to stay and dry out. I set up my tent inside the shelter, figuring that who else would be out in this weather and how would they get here? As the day progressed I could see that the river was receding. I calculated my river crossing for Saturday, and if I could not make it across I would have to bushwhack back to the ridge. Saturday of course started with snow falling but it did not discourage me. We packed up and headed for the river, it was still high but I found a place I could cross. Marley did not follow. He was not having any part of this river crossing. I dropped my pack and headed back for him, he was reluctant but I scooped him up in my arms and carried him across. As we crossed the height of land the sun started beaming brightly down on us once again. I called my wife and she promptly picked us up on Route 16.

My lesson: My wife bought me a “Flip camera” for my birthday so I could record my journeys. Upon replay, I noticed a few things, at a river crossing coming down the Rocky Branch, I stated for the video “if that storm comes in these crossing are going to be a little more difficult” (that was clue one that I made a mistake). The other observation I made was that Marley kept turning back to go back on the ridge rather than descend down to Rocky Branch (clue #2). I should always follow Marley’s instinct as he proved himself to be smarter than me, and I proved to be clueless!!!!!!