Rescue Sunday near Cater Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
While looking at the local Berlin Paper, I noticed a report of a rescue of a hiker injured in the vicinity of Carter Notch on Sunday

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/BerlinPDF/2010/10/19B.pdf

I believe she was the group leader for a group that was dayhiking the Wildcats and the Carters. I was on the Baldfaces on Sunday and looking across at the ridge, it looked to be in the clouds most of the day. It had rained most of Saturday and was still sprinking Sunday AM from clouds blowing off the Presidentials so I expect things were slippery.

If she could walk out, I hope that indicates that the injuries werent serious.

Of course, there is this from WMUR: Officials said Tomoko Nakajima, of Burlington, Vt., fell at about 8:30 p.m. Sunday while hiking on the Carter-Moriah Trail.

Glad to hear she was able to make it out under her own power.

NH Air Guard Helo came in about 8:45 Monday AM and I watched it descend below/behind the ridgeline INTO Carter Notch, wondered then if they were attempting a lift - out from the Hut.

Helo departed in the direction of Berlin, but I couldn't tell whether they had actually loaded anyone.

It WAS WINDY, for certain.

Glad she was able to get out under her own power.

Breeze

It sounded like a helo was flying through the Pemi on Sunday afternoon. I wonder if it was related. I've always thought that Wilderness flyovers were only legal in the case of an emergency.

Flyovers

I don't know about the legality of flyovers, but I have had a couple of experiences that tell me it probably isn't.

On Mt. Clay last September a biplane was buzzing not far over the summits (over the Great Gulf Wilderness).
GEDC0367.JPG

Earlier in the month I camped just off the summit of Mt. Hale and walked into the clearing around 10pm to watch miltary jets flying low and fast (and loud) over me and headed to the South and West (over the Pemi Wilderness).

Flyovers

A great resource for regulations pertaining to flying/flyovers is landings.com

If you scroll to the bottom of the main page in the yellow section you will see a "Search/Ref" section that has a regulations page link. Another useful link in that section is "Databases", where you can enter an aircraft "N" number to get the name and address for the owner. Very useful if you are a land owner or manager that is suffering from constant illegal flyovers. Usually you can't get anywhere to punish violators from the FAA level without a lot of tedious documentation. I at least had a letter template that I would send to violators to at least let them know that they were in the wrong and I would follow up if the activity persisted. My favorite option was when the local police would go to the local airport and wait for a violator to land and have a little talk with the pilot. We could often watch a plane through binoculars and know where they were landing. My cases were illegal buzzings that were public endangerment.

I don't know about the legality of flyovers, but I have had a couple of experiences that tell me it probably isn't.

On Mt. Clay last September a biplane was buzzing not far over the summits (over the Great Gulf Wilderness).
GEDC0367.JPG

Earlier in the month I camped just off the summit of Mt. Hale and walked into the clearing around 10pm to watch miltary jets flying low and fast (and loud) over me and headed to the South and West (over the Pemi Wilderness).

Why not just go back to blazing the trails?
Just the thought of this is disturbing my "wilderness experience".
All this racket in a wilderness zone??? What have we come to?????????? :eek:

I know of the hiker in question but I've never spent any time on the trail with her. I do know she gets out on the trail quite a bit. Hopefully she didn't sustain any serious physical injuries from her fall.

Even with a serious injury it's entirely possible for a person to descend under his/her own power. Trust me, I've been there!