Is this a piece of a wrecked plane?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a USAF bomber that crashed into Wright just below the summit and above the slide many years ago. It could have washed down the slide or more likely, been swept down it in an avalanche sometime over the last few decades.

Just a wild guess but the multi-stepped base looks like the sort of thing used to key turbine blades into a hub. Looks rather small though.

Bob

WHat you have there is in fact a turbine blade. It's hard to tell which stage it might be from not know the engine it came out of, but it appears to be a second stage blade. The damage to it indicates that there was an impact to it while it was still functioning in the engine, but I think evyone could have guessed that.
(I used to make these things in a former life.)
Happy Hiking,
Tom

Peakbagr said:
There was a USAF bomber that crashed into Wright just below the summit and above the slide many years ago. It could have washed down the slide or more likely, been swept down it in an avalanche sometime over the last few decades.
So, 2 planes have crashed into Wright? One for Orville and one for Wilbur. Was the bomber's wreckage left in-situ?
How many known crash sites are there in the High Peaks? It would be interesting to visit them all. Another list for ya Mavs! (46, 100, fire towers and crash sites)

A couple of weeks ago, my hiking partner found a piece of wreckage near the top of the slide. I'll try to find the photo and post it later. To the best of my knowledge, only one crash happened on Wright, a B-47 on the northeast side. Adirondack Life had an issue a couple months ago that showed locations of many Adirondack plane crashes. I may still have this issue at home. Let me know if you would like it.

rico said:
To the best of my knowledge, only one crash happened on Wright, a B-47 on the northeast side.

The slide I found the piece on is on the south side. Are you referring to Angel slide where your friend found his piece?

The plane was a b-47 bomber, on a training mission in January of 1962, that clipped the summit approximately five feet below the top. That's why there is wreckage strewn on the northern, eastern, and southern slopes of Wright. Both slides have remnants, and bushwhacking over from the southeastern slide (Wrong Slide) we found pieces scattered all over the eastern summit hidden in the cripplebrush.

To find the plaque and huge chunks of the plane, head off the summit for a hundred feet or so, then bear north away from the cairns which lead off Wright more on the Algonquin side. The plaque is on a ledge on the northern side of the summit.

There had been a whole section of wing on the Wrong Slide at one point, but it had been pushed off the slide by this summer.

FOR BONUS POINTS: Does anybody know where the memorial plaques for the four crewmen are located on Wright Peak?

Last edited:
I've also heard of a fatal small plane crash, not far off the slide that happened in the 80's . Not the B47. From what I hear, there are still clothes and shoes at the site.

The plaque is located about 100ft from my avatar. Over the rocks, jump down a small ledge and there it is on the facing small cliff.:D

Last edited:
No...... you can't get BONUS points for directions to the plaque ATOP Wright Peak. That's too easy.......

The question stands: Can anyone give the location to the FOUR individual PLAQUES (plural) honoring the four lost crewman, with the FIFTH plaque honoring their sacrifice.

Masshysteria... It was hard to identify much of anything after that crash, and DNA testing was not yet around.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that memorial plaques for the B-47 crew that crashed on Wright Peak, 1962, have been placed near the designated camping area about 100 yards before reaching the waterfall, about 2.5 mi along the Algonquin trail from Adirondack Loj.

So that’s my guess -- er-r-r-r, answer -- to Doc's quiz question.

G.

Probably only one in a thousand on the range visit this quiet tribute.

NYBRAD said:
In the ADK Loj? Or info center?????

I've camped at the spot at MacIntyre Falls many times and haven't come across the plaques?

If you head north by northeast along a faint herdpath, you will come to this dedication.

Last edited:
so now I'm confused...

So theres a plaque on the summit AND one near MacIntyre Falls? I spent about 10 min. searching for the plaque on the summit but I don't think I went far enough off the summit to find it...guess I'll have to go back as well.

peace
Oysterhead