Looking for snowless/iceless peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy

Reaction score
Taking some people to the Whites this weekend. They have never hiked on ice and/or snow. They don't own any kind of traction. I'm trying to make it a relatively hassle-free hike for them in that respect. They want views, they don't want snow/ice. I told them good luck, but I'll see what I can do. Any ideas on 4k peaks (or others such as Chocorua) that are still mostly free of any snow? Thanks.

Taking some people to the Whites this weekend. They have never hiked on ice and/or snow. They don't own any kind of traction. I'm trying to make it a relatively hassle-free hike for them in that respect. They want views, they don't want snow/ice. I told them good luck, but I'll see what I can do. Any ideas on 4k peaks (or others such as Chocorua) that are still mostly free of any snow? Thanks.
The lower the better. The farther south, the better. Monadnock maybe?

Is the snow sticking around at elevation this week? On Sunday, at 3,405', it had almost all melted.

Is the snow sticking around at elevation this week? On Sunday, at 3,405', it had almost all melted.

The last I heard the snow line was around 3500'. It may go higher after today. The lower 4000 footers may be mostly clear by this weekend.

Another good option would be Mt. Major. Spectacular views, and well below the snow line.

Last edited:
Still plenty of snow on the rocks on the upper Airline on Adams today.

I would suggest south moat, its got good sunny exposure all the way to the top.

If they insist on a 4k, Mt Osceola, should be clear as it has good sun exposure.

Can you give us some more details on their fitness and the length and vertical distance you want to cover? Mt. Major has views at the top as noted, but it's often pretty busy on weekend days if the weather is good. Same for East and West Rattlesnake near Squam Lake.

NOAA's Interactive Snow Information page can be helpful. Just be careful to note the difference between observation and modelling, and be chary of interpolating too much for locations without actual observations.

While not a 4K, the Welch-Dickey loop "feels" high and is always spectacular as long as it isn't cold enough to be icy. It's always been my "go-to" loop for mid-late Fall because of location and ability to do it in daylight even in mid-November without trouble, and I've introduced a couple people to the Whites on it...they loved it!

Weatherman

Cardigan

Bunch of good suggestions above... I went up Cardigan today, and it is also snow-free. Four-state views today. Snow was visible on the Northern Pressies and Franconia Ridge, also (lesser coverage) on Moosilauke and S. Twin, and Killington in Vt. Otherwise there wasn't much visible.

If the straight up & down Cardigan seems too quick, I am fond of looping over Firescrew on the way up, and I often visit South Peak on the way down.

Willoughby

The lower the better. The farther south, the better. Monadnock maybe?

Keene and the western hills have been reporting the lowest temps in NH this week along with the North Country. They also had quite a bit of snow last Saturday. You probably would be better off in the southern Whites at a similar elevation.

Keene and the western hills have been reporting the lowest temps in NH this week along with the North Country. They also had quite a bit of snow last Saturday. You probably would be better off in the southern Whites at a similar elevation.

Monadnock was bare today and temps hit 60, so no ice issues around here as the ground just isn't cold enough. I was at 2,200 elevation today and the ground was soft and wet.

Tomorrow and Friday could change that a little, but not much.

How about Willard? It's 1.5 miles each way out of the Highland Center. It's well described in the White Mountain Guide as the best views for the least amount of effort (rises less than 1000 feet to 3000' high or so). Everyone I have ever taken there has been stunned by the scenery

Any ideas on 4k peaks (or others such as Chocorua) that are still mostly free of any snow? Thanks.

Chocorua, since you mentioned it, is mostly free of ice - just patches of ice that are pretty easy to maneuver around. No snow. Not sure how long that will be the case.

as of today, 10/26, mt. cabot via bunnell notch was snow free. lots of mud to make up for it though.....

bryan