Alternate route to Rocky Peak

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfogie

Reaction score
Was just wondering if anybody out there has info on getting to Rocky Peak via the route from Chapel Pond by ascending to the altitude of the col between Giant and RP and then bushwhacking to the col. How hard/easy is that b-w? From the S face of Giant on the way up, it looks covered with low trees and bushes and a slide or two.

Thanks.

There was an articale about that in Adirondac or some similar mag a few years back, and if I recall, the description matched the look; some woods, a few slides. A lot of people consider that to avoid climbing all the way up Giant to get to RPR. But bushwacks rarely save much time unless they are a great deal shorter that the trailed route.

If you want a pretty bushwack in that area, go all the way up Dipper Brook from the iron bridge S of Chapel Pond (I'm selling this trip on another thread as well :) ). It's very pretty, with a variety of cliffs, swimming holes, etc.

TCD

I strongly second TCD's recommendation. This route definitely will not save any time though, but it is beautiful with some spectacular waterfalls as well. As a whole, the woods are very open all the way to the col via this route, even as one approaches the col.

You may want to think about hiking to RPR via the Ridge Trail, and then descending via the bushwhack route. I have always found it easier to bushwhack down than up.

John

TCD said:
If you want a pretty bushwack in that area, go all the way up Dipper Brook from the iron bridge S of Chapel Pond (I'm selling this trip on another thread as well :) ). It's very pretty, with a variety of cliffs, swimming holes, etc.

TCD
I'm trying to figure out this description on my map but don't see a Dipper Pond anywhere. By S of Chapel Pond do mean south along Rte. 73? Could you give me some more precisions about this route, especially the exact starting point?

Edit: just re-read the post and saw Dipper brook , not pond.

Last edited:
Here's some more detail on Dipper Brook:

This is the brook that runs SW from the col between Giant and RPR. It is a couple miles away from Roaring Brook.

(There is actually a lovely little Dipper Pond, as well, which is not shown on the USGS topo map. The pond is very near the brook. There is a small "level area" on the map, bordering the L bank of the brook, at a location bearing about 100 degrees from the Washbowl Pond. There's no blue on the map, but the pond is in there.)

The brook crosses under route 73 at the iron bridge just south of Chapel Pond. If you are at Chapel Pond, and you walk toward the Northway, past the Giant Ridge (Z Scott) trailhead, the bridge is at the rise about 100 yards further.

This is the brook that feeds throught the beaver affected area and into the "beach" end of Chapel Pond.

Bushwacking straight up the brook is fun. There is a variety of rock hopping at the start, and then you get into some smal cliffs, nice waterfalls, and great swimming holes. Most of the falls and cliffs can be easily surmounted or circumnavigated. One spot features a very attractive "fin" of rock mid stream, about 50 feet high, that goes mostly 4th class with a 5.2 or so move at the top. VERY fun, if you're into that.

Further up the brook you can take in the Dipper Pond. If you want an easy exit, as you can see on the map, it's very easy to cut over to the Ridge trail from the Pond.

Almost a mile further up, you can see on the map the spot where the brook divides into three. This is clearly recognizable on the ground. The central course of the three takes you to the Giant RPR col.

Have fun! There are a lot of good trips, loops and scenery on that side of Giant.

TCD