Carrigain Success 10-17-2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amantio

Reaction score
Little did I suppose, struggling through a light mist of rain to ascend the lofty 1,380 foot summit of Maine’s Mount Megunticook in the late spring of 2007, that in October of 2010 I would stand similarly upon the summit of Mount Carrigain, having topped all 48 of New Hampshire’s 4,000 foot peaks over the prior twenty-two months. All I knew then was that I should be in better shape, and that if my state of physical neglect continued into my 50’s, things would go from ugly to downright dreadful in short order. I also recognized that, despite the strain of the exertion, and the discomfort of the chilly rain that cold day in Camden, Maine, I was having a pretty good time.

Successively more challenging hikes followed, from Cadillac in Acadia, to Bear Mountain in Connecticut, to Monadnock in New Hampshire, to Greylock in Massachusetts. In early fall of 2008, Diane and I travelled to Stowe, Vermont and hiked up the Hell Brook Trail to the summit of Mansfield’s chin, our first 4,000 foot peak. Later in October of that year, we ventured up the Falling Waters Trail hoping to travel the Franconia Ridge. Atop Little Haystack we encountered howling winds, rime ice and blowing fog for which we were not prepared, having left mild temperatures, sunshine and idyllic conditions in the parking three hours before. We retreated rather than risk travel on the ridge, and decided that adult supervision might be in order should we dare to venture further in the mountains.

That “supervision” came in part from the wisdom and companionship gained from joining folks on VFTT and Rocks on Top, starting with a traverse in the Osippees with a group of sixteen or so, led by the plucky Rocket21. This was great fun, a great hike, and acquaintances were made that day which have since formed into friendships.

This introduction into group hiking somewhat emboldened me, and I next found myself on a foggy and wet winter day in December, trudging up the Hancocks in the freezing rain. My pack was too small, I was wearing the wrong boots, had the wrong pants on, and I was generally unprepared for the rigors of the steep descent in my recently acquired snowshoes. I made it back to the car, but there was very little left in the tank, and I was concerned with what might have been. These were my first New Hampshire 4,000 foot mountains.

Over the following twenty-two months, the rest followed. I gradually gained in knowledge and, I hope, wisdom. I certainly gained in equipment. When along the way I decided to try to do them all, I know not. That certainly wasn’t my initial intent. A long day doing the Twins, Galehead and Garfield with BIGEarl, followed shortly thereafter by an Owl’s Head adventure with LRiz probably helped solidify things in my mind. My first ascent up Washington with Kevin, Judy and Emma at Seek the Peak 2009, I’m sure, sealed the deal.

So last Sunday my wife and I spent a lovely day in the mountains. We left the trailhead and strolled a lovely broad trail, strewn with leaves of orange and gold, the warm sun on our backs. We crossed flooded streams and beaver dams, and ascended a rocky trail to the Signal Ridge, where we caught our first view of the summit fire tower. There we encountered temperatures in the thirties, snow and gusting winds. We dove back into the woods and then worked our way through the slush and dripping spruce to the final approach to the clearing. I must admit those final few steps were not without emotion as I toed the summit marker and claimed my forty-eighth and final White Mountain 4,000 foot peak.

We laughed as we ascended the fire tower, encrusted with feathered rime ice, snapped a quick picture, but took note of an ominous and threatening cloud lowering from the west, and retreated to the shelter of the woods. Three hours later, feet somewhat damp from high water, we emerged from those woods, marvelously fatigued and satisfied, and drove home to Massachusetts as if on a cloud.

A huge congratulations to you! Well done, and an inspiring TR! I was among that Ossipee group in November of 2008, and also enjoyed putting many faces to VFTT names that I had read about. I have also benefitted from the wisdom of those who have come before - those who have been there and done it right.

I am sure you know that your hiking adventures are just beginning!

I was among that Ossipee group in November of 2008, and also enjoyed putting many faces to VFTT names that I had read about.

Thanks so much, Jabberwalk. I well remember that hike. You were curious about my lunch, because I used to bring a somewhat elaborate spread with me. That day it was home made chicken salad. I have since ditched that routine in favor of food that can be eaten on the move. Ah, experience!

And Thanks to you, Audrey. As soon as I can figure it out, I'll post a couple of pics:eek:

Big Congrats!

We well remember you as a vital part of our attack on the Ossipees that October day and we were more than happy when you decided to visit "The City in the Clouds" with us for STP '09. You showed your mettle and determination that day on Washington with us pushing hard to get up and down for apres' hike turkey dinner. (Worth the hard march, wasn't it?) Sorry we didn't make it for your finish but we always knew that you would push on until you reached your goal. We look forward to being on the trail with you again soon!

K, J & E

Thanks to all for your encouragement and support.

I give up trying to upload photos. Here's a link to facebook pics:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=23686&id=100000936437574&l=1dd8fe20bd

Hi, Sabrina. In addition to that Ossippee day, we hiked with you, Tera and (now) hubbie over a rain and wind swept Southern Presidential Range over Memorial Day weekend in the in 2009 when my wife and I were on an unforgettable Gourmet Hut Trip at Mizpah.

And Mark, if I can ever get out of my office at a reasonable time on a Friday, I might make it to a B & V.

So what do I do for an encore?

My wish list:

1. Katahdin (perhaps next summer)
2. A few (but certainly not all) ADKs, including Mount Marcy (high point of the State of my birth)
3. Mitchell, Clingman's Dome, and a few more down south.
4. Winter peaks (those within my comfort zone, that is. Perhaps 10 a year over the next few).
5. Sub 4,000 foot peaks with views and fun trails. The Moats this past summer were a joy.

That ought to keep me busy and somewhat in your faces over the next stretch.