Sunday River Opening tomorrow!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They got a shout out from Backcountry.com's Facebook page on Friday as the first ski resort in the country to open! Pretty cool that the East Coast beat out the big boys out West.

As addicted to skiing as I am, one trail, only top to midstation, and with the snow guns blasting in your face, doesn't quite qualify to me as "open".

I did 1-trail skiing a few times at Killington several winters ago. There was one route: the narrow white ribbon of death down Great Northern to Bunny Buster, and it was quite scary. The snow gun output is very hard to see through and sticks to your goggles, the bumps get huge and stiff quickly, and there are way too many people (many on the ground in shambles) on the trail.

Of course, all that said, if I were a Sunday River passholder with lodging nearby, I would have been there and taken a few runs. :)

I'm with MichaelJ, I went early on last year (passholder from LOON) and the white ribbon of death is an accurate description.

And as much as I love SR, opening only the top of the mountain (T2) at 3:30pm, at the end of the day, is kind of a lame way to claim "first resort open" in the nation.

That being said, I'm super excited and I'll probably be there in the next couple weeks :D Bring on the winter!

I took this picture on Rumford Whitecap today that shows the open terrain, the Presi's looked more tempting to me!
Good marketing on S.R.'s part, they got a LOT of free news coverage.

Last edited:
As addicted to skiing as I am, one trail, only top to midstation, and with the snow guns blasting in your face, doesn't quite qualify to me as "open".

I did 1-trail skiing a few times at Killington several winters ago. There was one route: the narrow white ribbon of death down Great Northern to Bunny Buster, and it was quite scary. The snow gun output is very hard to see through and sticks to your goggles, the bumps get huge and stiff quickly, and there are way too many people (many on the ground in shambles) on the trail.

Of course, all that said, if I were a Sunday River passholder with lodging nearby, I would have been there and taken a few runs. :)

Oh let's not whine.....:pski season actually started last week at Stowe and Killington if you wanted to hike for it. Get stoked and get the spirit!!!:)

I've got a seasons pass to Loon,Sunday River and Sugarloaf. I certainly won't do the 3 hour drive from Ma. for 1 run. I did the same thing at Killington a few years ago as well. I can't believe I did it twice. 500 skiers and riders on one run through snow guns. Not much fun at all.

i love opening day at stowe, its usually pretty crazy when there is one trail and mounds of man made ungroomed snow.
its fun to watch everyone get wrecked and i honestly can't wait!
i definately wont drive to sunday river but most likely will drive to killington when they open.

yeah, summer ended last Tuesday here in CO, though winter's doing its best to make up for lost time. We spent the weekend in Breckenridge hiking, where the first 3-4 inches fell on Friday and they are getting DUMPED today. Loveland opened their White Ribbon of Death yesterday- SR musta beat them by like 19.5 hours. Should be great very soon!

either way, sunday river is now closed. may re-open again by this coming weekend but doubtful since it's in the 60's and raining there.

hahaaha.. if i can't have my ice, you can't have your snow! :p

i'm currently working with the AMC to get ice guns installed in huntington ravine. the first guns will be placed in odells gully for testing purposes and begin operating by november 1st. unlike the snow making guns.. these will be less noisy and come with pre-placed screws at various intervals.

Leaf are you serious?

Perhaps they could use a siphoning technique from Lakes of the Clouds for the water supply to save on the huge expense of pumping water up from down lower.
I worked as a snowmaker once and even with that knowledge im not sure how you will get the ice screws in as you make the ice/snow. I would be interested in your proposed method.

hahaaha.. if i can't have my ice, you can't have your snow! :p

i'm currently working with the AMC to get ice guns installed in huntington ravine. the first guns will be placed in odells gully for testing purposes and begin operating by november 1st. unlike the snow making guns.. these will be less noisy and come with pre-placed screws at various intervals.

Too much BS to deal with the AMC. Just move to Iowa and befreind your local corn farmer.

http://www.iowafarmertoday.com/articles/2007/01/15/special_section/farm_bill/006icesilos.txt

Last edited: