Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stating the obvious- Traction Required

Stating the obvious- Traction Required

Just a reminder that some sort of traction for ice should be added to your day pack. I went with Earl and Sue and others on a great fall Wildcats hike on (Sat 10/9) and we encountered patches of ice on the ledges at or around 3500 feet. We worked around them but very soon its not going to be optional.

Thanks, peakbagger, just put my microspikes back in my pack!!!

Saw small bits of ice near the summit of Killington yesterday. One hiker coming down had warned us, saying he slipped on the way up and then on the way down in the same place.

Of all things, I fell down a flight of wooden stairs on the summit, right in front of a bunch of tourists. They were wet and muddy (the stairs, that is) and I guess I was overly confident: hit my head, wrenched both shoulders, and bruised my hip. It was the talk of the trail for a bit.
    Last edited by erugs; 10-13-2010 at 10:35 AM.
    Ellen

Volunteer Maintainer: East Pond Trail

"Through winter-time we call on spring/And through the spring on summer call/And when abounding hedges ring/Declare that winter's best of all/And after that there's nothing good/Because the spring-time has not come... William Butler Yeats

Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of Starr King Mt.
    Thanks. I have an old pair of micro-spikes I save for this time of year. They still give me some traction but knowing that whatever I wear will take a beating on the rocks I save my Hillsounds for a bit later in the season.

I took a really nasty fall last year in the fall in the col between Pierce and Ike. There was a thin layer of snow on the ground and I couldn't tell that there was ice under it.

It's nice to have that lightweight extra bit of security.
    I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48/48 NH 4000 Winter Ed with Duffy and Lauky
    48 X 4 including 1 winter Lauky
    48 X 6 Ed
    12 X 12 Belknaps with Lauky

Quote Originally Posted by erugs View Post
    Of all things, I fell down a flight of wooden stairs on the summit, right in front of a bunch of tourists. They were wet and muddy and I guess I was overly confident: hit my head, wrenched both shoulders, and bruised my hip. It was the talk of the trail for a bit.
    You did stroll away without any indication that you were in pain.

(At least 'till out of sight of the tourists.)

Right???
    Stash

What matters is what I do. Not what they do.

Hiking Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35709829@N08/

Good advice, Peakbagger. Sometimes folks need to be hit over the head with the obvious.

Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Stash View Post
    You did stroll away without any indication that you were in pain.

(At least 'till out of sight of the tourists.)

Right???
    Well, yes. Sort of. As I was bumping down the stairs I was saying "Okay, Okay, Okay." When others asked whether I was hurt, I said, "I dunno, maybe." (The worst of it was, I had needed to pee, but was able to stop most of the flow started by the startle effect.) I stood there a minute or two to gain my wits back with the excuse that I was warning the tourists of the danger. Several times after that, further along the foot path, I heard the warning issued by others to be "careful on the stairs up there, someone just fell!" I was glad they didn't say "Some hiker just fell" or even more, an "elderly woman with canes just fell."

I'm sore today but the bruising isn't yet as bad as I expected.
    Last edited by erugs; 10-11-2010 at 01:47 PM.
    Ellen

Volunteer Maintainer: East Pond Trail

"Through winter-time we call on spring/And through the spring on summer call/And when abounding hedges ring/Declare that winter's best of all/And after that there's nothing good/Because the spring-time has not come... William Butler Yeats

little skims of ice on Whiteface/Passaconaway yesterday. nothing you couldn't get around but, you never know

got totally turned around from getting the saddleback horn last year because of no traction in Oct.
    It's never too late to discover who you really are

The only thing "required" is common sense. Last November we had some pretty steamy days, glad I didn't bring traction then... However, this is what happens when you leave common sense home. Oh, and this too.

-Dr. Wu
    Last edited by dr_wu002; 10-11-2010 at 01:47 PM.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
    -Thomas Paine

There was a fair amount of ice on the ledges on Mt Jackson yesterday. Not quite time for the spikes, but they are going in my pack.

Has anyone tried putting short screws in the bottom of their boots, eight or so? I read the early 46rs did that to their LL Bean boots.
    Peace

"How one parses a question tells you as much about the person as how they answer the question."

Oldee Won Balogeena

Thanks for the reminder. Last November I hiked Kinsman Ridge on an Indian Summer day. Because it was so warm below, a number of the hikers I met had decided to leave their traction devices behind, and were struggling along the icy trail. I was happy I had my Yak Trax Pros and poles. Although some disparage them, I find the advantage of Yak Trax over Microspikes is that you don't have spikes wearing down on the sections between ice patches.
    Last edited by Elizabeth; 10-14-2010 at 02:11 PM.
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

Quote Originally Posted by Little Rickie View Post
    Has anyone tried putting short screws in the bottom of their boots, eight or so? I read the early 46rs did that to their LL Bean boots.

Search on this site for "screwboots" or "screw boots", I know there has been a lot of discussion about this.

As for Microspikes, mine have been in my pack since August when I went up on Franconia Ridge. Might have been a tad early then...

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    Search on this site for "screwboots" or "screw boots", I know there has been a lot of discussion about this.

As for Microspikes, mine have been in my pack since August when I went up on Franconia Ridge. Might have been a tad early then...

You should find a lot of info on screw boots. It's the winter equivalent to the neoprene footwear craze recently discussed for the summer crowd. I'd be surprised if they don't even say how long & how wide the screws should be.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.