nylon repair

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brambor

Reaction score
One of my internal frame backpacks ripped nylon near top access point. It is a nylon with drawstring that extends the volume of the pack 'upwards'. I can probably hand sew it but perhaps there is a better way? Is there some kind of heat patch 2x6 inches or similar idea?

If it isn't a stress point or load bearing, you can use the tent patch form Kenyon, not the silicone stuff, regular tent patch. The self stick patch is available at Campmor, EMS, REI n other outdoor shops. I even saw it at Wallmart sold in sheets, even cheaper, in their sewing section.

If it is a stress point then sew the patch in. Your dry cleaners can do that for ya, or DIY.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Ron

Thank Ron. I will try the patch first. It isn't a stress point unless someone yanks at it :eek: (pointing to my self)

Or you could slap some duct tape on it and spend your free time hiking instead of sewing. ;) I fixed a tent sack with it and it has held up very well under the strain of stuffing the sack. I was in the field once with a guy who fixed his boot with it, and more than one aircraft in AK has been fixed with it.

wish it was that easy

I wish it was that easy. All this DIY work is done when I absolutely can not get out of the house. :)

This is one of my older packs. It's been ripped like this for about a year. Working on it when I can not get out of the house gives me slight fix of what I'd rather be doing.

Let's put it this way: You won't see me fixing it over the weekend...

yup, I have some stuff in need of reapirs but I wait for hunting season to cath up on that stuff. I have a pair of pants in need so some sewing for nearly 3 years, still use em on the trails, just don't get behind me and you'll never notice. :rolleyes:

well, as long as you're going to make a day of it, I would heat seal any frayed or torn fabric before sewing. Otherwise, the thread may pull through.