Latest Forest Ranger Report

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Click here to see the Forest Ranger Report for September and October.

This one kills me!

'On Sunday, October 10, 2010, at 2:00 am, the DEC Dispatch Center in Ray Brook received a call from the DEC Lewey Lake Campground reporting 3 overdue hikers. [They] had not returned from a day hike of Watch Hill. DEC Forest Rangers responded and searched through the night, covering most of the ground around Watch Hill while repeatedly calling out the names of the three hikers. At 8:30am, the Rangers located the subjects in good condition. They reported that it had gotten dark as they were returning to the campground and they did not have flashlights, so they lost the trail. When asked if they could hear Forest Rangers calling for them, they said they had but stated that “growing up in the city you never holler back”' :eek: :confused: Who on earth did they think was calling out to them, muggers in the wilderness?

This one kills me!

'On Sunday, October 10, 2010, at 2:00 am, the DEC Dispatch Center in Ray Brook received a call from the DEC Lewey Lake Campground reporting 3 overdue hikers. [They] had not returned from a day hike of Watch Hill. DEC Forest Rangers responded and searched through the night, covering most of the ground around Watch Hill while repeatedly calling out the names of the three hikers. At 8:30am, the Rangers located the subjects in good condition. They reported that it had gotten dark as they were returning to the campground and they did not have flashlights, so they lost the trail. When asked if they could hear Forest Rangers calling for them, they said they had but stated that “growing up in the city you never holler back”' :eek: :confused: Who on earth did they think was calling out to them, muggers in the wilderness?

I guess the rescue crew are to be congratulated for not slapping the $hit out of them... "Gosh, thanks for letting us wander around the woods all night looking for your sorry butts." :mad:

This one kills me!

Apparently what their parents told them about talking to strangers did sink in:D As a parent that warms my heart, as a hiker, I'd want to ask them how the muggers knew their names.

Always carry a first aid kit, even on day hikes.[/B]

You should always carry a first aid kit but how is one going to help you out in this situation unless your first aid kit inludes collapsible crutches. Thought that was a little funny
It's quite possible we are not being told the whole story in some of these situations....

It's quite possible we are not being told the whole story in some of these situations....

It also appears as they have a list of "Advice Items" to tack onto each report. Some are clearly more accurate/relevant to the incident than others.

The first aid kit is to bind your wounds after the searchers find out you heard them calling and didn't answer back. ;)

We had one of these in WA. A guy was lost and we located him in the middle of the night by blowing our whistles and calling out. He answered back and we moved up. No guy. We called out and he answered back. We moved up. No guy. This went on for a couple of hours until he stumbled onto a road and hitched a ride out. He was keeping contact with us, all the while trying to avoid having to be brought out as someone who was lost. No, I didn't get to 'splain to him my feelings on the subject. Yes, I wished I could have.

Why would someone avoide being rescued. himmm Don't want to pay a fine or costs? Me thinks they may have done/are doing/are in posession of something they don't want official type people knowing. People can get paranoid or more stupid in an altered state. Could be.;)

If you've ever been poisoned by testosterone, you'll probably understand why some under its influence don't want to admit they needed help getting out of the woods.

If you aren't in the group subject to such imbalances, you probably live with one or have one in your circle of acquaintances. My wife's standard advice to this latter group: Always ask lots of questions in advance, and don't let him push you into doing something you don't want to do. Then she relates the story about crawling through the skunk-occupied brambles . . .