127 Hours ~ New Movie

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely looking forward to seeing the movie. The Dateline documentary Tom Brokaw did a year or so after Ralston's incident was great. I kind of liked Ralston's book, but I think his story of his bear encounter in the Tetons was mostly bulls**t. Kind of like Bill Bryson's bear story in "A Walk in the Woods". Just seemed like the product of a healthy imagination. Hopefully the movie will be more like a documentary and less like hollywood.

And as we know from "Into Thin Air", it's soooooo easy to take a compelling story and turn it into a dreadful movie.

The fact that it is directed by Danny Boyle makes me interested. But I still can't shake the feeling that it's simply glorifying someone's stupid mistake.

This movie could potentially lead to a strong increase in visitation to Utah's slot canyons. I'm assuming many of the films' upcoming viewers will be learning about slot canyons for the first time and will be mesmerized (as many of us were the first time we visited one). I wonder if accidents will therefore increase because of this movie.

I think if you can watch a movie that revolves around how dangerous slot canyons can be, and how someone had to cut off his own arm because of an accident in one.

Then get all excited and go off and visit a slot canyon without training, research or preparation and have an accident there...that accident didn't happen "because of the movie." ;)

I'm interested in seeing the movie, but will probably have to wait for Netflix (our "movies seen in theater" number dropped to about one once Norah was born :p).

I read Entertainment Weekly and the movie has good buzz. It's shown at several film festivals to positive reviews and has even been mentioned as an Oscar contender: 127 Hours on EW.com

Of course, what is a good movie to the general populace might not cut it with the VFTT diehards. :p I'll be curious to see what people think after they see it.

I do love adventure films and this could be good.
I'll watch the movie when it almost immediately goes to video. But I have to say...I read half of his book and I was disgusted how irresponsible he was in his endeavors. He even admited to it many times.
I feel for the guy, he got himself saved by his own dull blade and determination. If he can peck out a career as a public speaker, fine.
But I hope the movie spins it as, this is not what you should do out there.

Dave

And as we know from "Into Thin Air", it's soooooo easy to take a compelling story and turn it into a dreadful movie.

Conversely, you can get a movie like "Touching the Void", which I think the movie made the story.

dug,
I own the dvd "Touching the Void." I watch it at least twice a year. That one does merit to Joe Simpson's book of the same name. It rules!!
Dave

Same response to the movie about this true story as I had to "Titanic" - I know how it ends (never did see that Titanic movie). :rolleyes:

Ralston was also the 1st person to complete all the Colorado 14ers in winter -solo! (A bunch of the peaks were completed after his accident). But I remember reading an article about him using some not well thought out techniques which led to more risky than usual circumstances while doing so. That being said, my theory is that he does in sheer number so many different things, that he's bound to have a problem or two;)! I for one will definitely go see the movie!

Pass

I can't relate to Ralston on a personal level because I don't climb the big mountains, nor do I go off solo without telling at least one person where I'm going and when to expect me back. I place what he did in a somewhat different category than the crazy guy who got himself and his lady friend eaten by grizzlies, but in a similar group as 'Alexander Supertramp', as someone who is well-known because of doing something stupid on a grand scale. Granted, Ralston’s situation was an accident, but the delay in his rescue was his fault for not following a very basic common sense guideline. He might still have lost his arm, but he could have been found much sooner, in the slot, and not been close to death from blood loss. He does stand out in that group of mis-adventurers because he survived by doing what most of us would have done: deal with the situation and do whatever it took to survive. I admire him for continuing to climb (I think we all would do that), but I don’t plan on seeing the movie.

PS: I now carry a sharp knife on most of my trips.

Last edited: