Mt Moosilauke 10-29-10 via Glencliff - Moosilauke Carriage Rd - Hurricane Trail loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

I climbed Mt Moosilauke yesterday. The weather was fantasic. When I started, the temperature at the trailhead was about 45F, but once the sun burned away the early fog, it got warmer. I only needed a light jacket at the summit, despite strong winds. I brought microspikes but never needed them.

The Glencliff Trail was a pleasure to climb, mostly dry with no obstacles that I recall. No good views that I noticed along this route, though.

At the junction with Moosilauke Carriage Rd, I took the spur trail to South Peak, which was very much worth it, with magnificent views in every direction. I could see from here that there were traces of snow on Moosilauke.

The trail from South Peak to Moosilauke is delightful - almost flat, broad, no climbing over boulders. I spent about 20 minutes at the summit and had it all to myself.

On the way back I took Moosilauke Carriage Rd to the Hurricane Trail. The former is broad and easy with some nice views out to mountain ranges now that the leaves are down.

The only trouble I had was on the Hurricane Trail. I found the climb a bit tiresome after going up Moosilauke; it felt pretty steep. To make things worse, it was a veritable *river* from the Moosilauke Carriage Rd all the way up Hurricane Mountain. The water was not so bad to start, but as I kept climbing the trail got more and more flooded, with deep pools making it slow going. I'm still glad I took the loop since I like the variation, but I should have planned more time for it. As it was, I kind of rushed down the other side to make it to the trailhead before dark. Fortunately the water problems were minimal between Hurricane Mtn and Glencliff Trail.

When I finally got out, it was about 5 pm, and still balmy weather. Great day for a hike!