Mt. Frissell (South Shoulder) CT Highpoint 10/29/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
Friday we headed of to the far end of Connecticut for some more highpointing. We headed down from Maine to the Mass Pike and drove across the state getting off at exit 2. From there we went straight south finally taking the Mt. Washington Rd. to the Mass--CT border.

If you have a GPS the trailhead is easy to find. Right at the border you will see an old state line marker. The marker is set off in the woods to your left, so if you don't have a GPS it would be possible to drive right by it.

001-7.jpg

Right after the marker is this sign.

002-4.jpg

Then 50 feet farther down the road on your left you will see the modest parking area.

005-5.jpg

The trailhead starts almost across from the state line marker.

003-3.jpg

For almost 2/3 of a mile the trail is fairly flat. I was surprised to see some Rhododendron, something I would expect to find farther south. The trail starts in CT, heads immediately into MA, then turns back into CT. When you leave the summit of Round Mt. you head back into MA. Then once on the summit of Frissell you head back into CT. From there you head to the NY border.

028-2.jpg

The next 1/3 of a mile up Round Mt. the trail climbs fairly steeply. One Texas blogger described the climb as a class 2 scramble. I would guess that that is about right. The biggest obstacle going up was an abundance of wet leaves on the ledges. On the way back down it was raining so the ledges themselves were fairly slippery. Shortly before the summit there is a place where the trail seems to veer off to the left. This is a false herd trail. The actual trail continues up over the ledge.

009-7.jpg

When we arrived on the summit of Round Mt. we were greeted with some open areas

Last edited:
Mt. Frissell (South Shoulder) cont.

The top of Round Mt. was fairly open.

012-2.jpg

If it had been a nicer day, the views no doubt would have been pretty good.

010-5.jpg

Looking straight ahead, you could see Mt. Frissell in the distance.

013-4.jpg

The actual Summit of Mt. Frissell is located about 25' to the right of the trail where it swings to the left heading into CT.

015-1.jpg

We signed in at the box hanging from the tree. It's obvious the journal is not being maintained right now. If you are heading up that way there is a big need for a new notebook.

017-3.jpg

You find yourself fairly quickly back in CT, although there was a discrepancy between my GPS which showed us arriving in CT a bit sooner and a bit higher than the official stake. Whatever, you eventually come to the cairn and the stake.

018-5.jpg

You can see from the look on Lauky's face that he's saying, 'You mean this is it? Where's the plaque and the monument?"

020-2.jpg

From there we continued on over to New York and the tri-state marker. Lauky had the ultimate dog privilege of lifting his leg on three states at one time. I saw it coming but wasn't able to get the camera out in time to get the actual picture.

025-3.jpg

In the light of the way things are going these days, it was probably the ultimate commentary on the state of affairs in the world today.

023-4.jpg

Last edited: