Nature Happens

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy

Reaction score
Just another boring day in Yellowstone National Park.

This is why it pays to ALWAYS have your camera out and ready in YNP.

The two pictures where the bear is completely airborne are almost comical.....but then again, not really.

Wow. Incredible photos. I'm not sure how calm I would be if I was the photographer!

The Bison was healthy enough to outrun and adult grizzly, but had to be put down? Got to give it to the photographer, he had more guts than I would have had.

The bison may have outrun that brown bear on adrenaline alone, only to get much sicker later from the burns and the effects of the chase. I too was surprised the bear didn't overcome him, but you just never know how things are going to work in the Natural world. That's one of things that keeps it interesting ...

The bison may have an advantage in the snow? Should have let nature takes it's course but again it may not be good PR for the public to see a half eaten bison. I guess bears come out of hibernation in April in Yellowstone.

I saw one 3 winters ago in late March on a wolf kill. It was probably one of the first out of its den, but some of the males probably are out early. I definitely agree it was the thought of bad PR for the park that prompted park officials to not allow nature to take her course.

Reminds me of the photos of the bear chasing the moose across the Pemi last winter, which were taken from the footbridge at Lincoln Woods. Not quite as dramatic, but in the same ballpark.

The Bison was healthy enough to outrun and adult grizzly, but had to be put down?

Exactly what I was thinking.

I can imagine that those burns were only going to get worse with time.

Burns of one of the worst injuries to have in the wild... they leave you extremely susceptible to infection.

bison out runs bear...

only to be "put down" later by Rangers?

I ditto earlier remarks.

Injured animals can recover from wounds that would seem to be fatal to us. Though I must say the photos are gruesome.

I understand the arguments- I just feel that it was a shame that the Bison couldn't be left alone to let it play out- considering the epic run for it's life. Just my two cents..