Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Total Knee Replacement Question

Total Knee Replacement Question

Just want to hear the positives from folks out there who had it done and continue to enjoy the great outdoors. I knew for a few years that the arthritis was eating away the meniscus and it's pretty much all gone I'm scheduling it for next spring but it's possible that I'll have it done in the winter. I'm keeping a positive mental attitude but I finally had to buy a cane to use because of the pain. To bad I couldn't use my new BD poles in school but I think I'd make a lot of scratches on the floor.

I just did a search, reading silverfox's post. Think Laurie Rankin mentioned the name.

A few years ago, I was in the ADK's doing a trip of Macomb, South & East Dix, Hough & Dix. if unfamilar withthis trip, IMO, it's equal or harder than a Franconia Traverse. (Disclaimer, I had done Allen the day before)

While I started solo, I hooked up with a group which included a 46er who had one knee replaced a couple of years earlier, his son & a member of the Rochester Police (on occasion I believe they did visit VFTT)

He had no problem keeping up, (from memory) hardest thing I believe was that his other knee was bothering him. He was scheduled to have the other knee done a short time later.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Mike, I need both done Dr told me to take it easy and relax, do one and then wait a while for the other...

ps..can u believe it that I'm bidding on a Gregory Denali backpack on e bay while we are speaking? Go figure, I want to go out and have fun and I can't even walk a mile. Guess I'm hooked on this "Mother Nature" stuff

I hear nothing but good things about knee replacement, despite it's complexity. I had my left hip replaced at Concord (NH) Hospital last winter and I came thru w/flying colors. I met people who had knee replacement when I went thru P.T. and they were all upbeat and optimistic.

You'll do fine. Don't be afraid to think positive thoughts because with a good surgeon at a good facility, you'll come out of this much more easily than you expect.

Best wishes!

bob

I'm not a doctor, nor am I familiar with your knees, but did you and your doctor talk about having them both done at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by TEO View Post
    I'm not a doctor, nor am I familiar with your knees, but did you and your doctor talk about having them both done at the same time?
    I think the whole idea of not having it done at the same time is if there is some systemic problem with the procedure/doctor/equipment you don't completely hose both knees. Kind of the idea that you don't LASIC both eyes at once (at least AFAIK).

Tradeoffs on both but that's what I've heard about reasoning...

Jay
    You must go and you must ramble
    Through every briar and bramble
    Till your life is in a shambles
    Maybe then you will know
    -"You Must Go" - John Hiatt

I'd heard it was because a person would be too out-of-commission if they had both done at once.
    Ellen

Volunteer Maintainer: East Pond Trail

"Through winter-time we call on spring/And through the spring on summer call/And when abounding hedges ring/Declare that winter's best of all/And after that there's nothing good/Because the spring-time has not come... William Butler Yeats

On the other hand, if the operation and PT is a success, you gain a year of full mobility. (Actually, depending on how long you wait between surgeries, you can gain much more.)

Quote Originally Posted by erugs View Post
    I'd heard it was because a person would be too out-of-commission if they had both done at once.
    It is much easier to function on crutches than in a wheelchair...

Doug

The 1st time my father had a knee replaced, he had a staff infection and they had to remove the replacement and inserted a "spacer" until the infection cleared. He couldn't use the leg at all for 3 weeks. I can't imagine having both replaced and both having infections at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Quietman View Post
    The 1st time my father had a knee replaced, he had a staff infection and they had to remove the replacement and inserted a "spacer" until the infection cleared. He couldn't use the leg at all for 3 weeks. I can't imagine having both replaced and both having infections at the same time.
    Forced inactivity is never a good thing.
    Ellen

Volunteer Maintainer: East Pond Trail

"Through winter-time we call on spring/And through the spring on summer call/And when abounding hedges ring/Declare that winter's best of all/And after that there's nothing good/Because the spring-time has not come... William Butler Yeats

Hi Coldfeet
    I am so sorry to hear you need a bilateral. I had my right knee replaced in March of this year.
    I won't go into details , but it is quite a difficult recovery. It IS worth it, but you may not think that right away. It took me about 6 months to even consider this being a good idea.

I have been bone on bone you at least 10 years, and after we exhausted ALL the non-invasive options, and a few arthroscopies later, we declared it dead and done. I had it done March 10th.

So on a lighter note:

I have been riding my road bike in the whites for rides up to 35 miles in length. I rode up to Crawford Notch in early September. I am working the Kanc in parts.

I have also been out on my mountain bike, not riding over logs or anything, but still fun!

As far as hiking, I got up Willard at about 3 months out.
    I did Tom for the FOT48 this Sept 11th.
    I wandered for miles in the Great Gulf Wilderness 2 weeks ago with my daughter.
    This past weekend hiked up the Glen Boulder Trail, but turned around just above treeline due to the wind. I am happy to report that I was able to hike in my microspikes, so I should be able to graduate to crampons.
    My real fun is yet to come, I could only ice climb a few times last year because my knee was so unstable. I've got some dates on the calendar already. Now I just need the waterfalls to freeze.

Sorry for the lengthy post. The answer to your question is YES, you can still play outside!
    PM me if you want/need any more info.
    Best,
    Sandy

ps: Spend a great deal of time getting opinions, meeting Surgeons, checking out infection rates, hospitals, etc.
    The volume a Dr. does is probably the best indicator of how good a job he/she will do. The more knees you do, the better you are.
    Last edited by Trainwreck; 11-03-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: spelling
    "If its not fun, why do it?"- Ben and Jerry

Also, if you are already working with a PT, see if you can pry an opinion out of them regarding choice of surgeons / venues. The PTs see all the results after surgery, and they know who is doing the best. (Might have to be a PT you know personally, or add EtOH; your regular PT probably would not want to comment on one doc vs. another.) Good luck!

Thx folks...

One of the most important factors is "Insurance". Trying to find a really good dr who also takes your insurance is very difficult. Luckily I was able to find 1 dr at the Hospital for special surgery in NYC. Most of them (almost 99%) don't take insurance, people must come in with a basket of cash. How they do that I don't know?

A few years ago after another scoping I went to the winter gathring in Maine at GO's place and I made a poster thanking my dr. I don't remember the peak I was on? Maybe sugarloaf?

I went on a knee website and after reading about a million problems it scared the crap out of me, so no more sites. Just go in with a positive attitude and trust my surgeon and most importantly the drug dr (anasteologist sp?) so I can wake up.

Trainwreck, thx for info, you and others have chimed in with positive feedback. will send u a pm......Jay, pencil me in for next years MAGIC gathering.