Total Knee Replacement Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke with another friend today who had a double knee replacement done in April at Dartmouth Hitchcock--two surgeons so that they were simultaneous. Started walking the next day. Road biking this summer, will be tele skiing this winter. He thought the idea of doing one at a time was nuts. But, he went to surgeons who knew what they were doing, not the locals in Burlington, VT.

daxs, will send pm later tonight...

TEO , I was wondering if my OS said "no" because he or the hospital makes more $ if you go back for the 2nd one? I'm going to call on Monday to see if I can move the procedure up to late Feb. Sounds like your friend is real happy...thx for encouragment!

Couldn't take the pain anymore, ... I scheduled it for Jan 27th...twisted it yesterday....thank goodness for the Saranac winter pack :rolleyes: another winter of not using my gear :mad: I should lease it :rolleyes:

Good luck with your surgery. It's a long road back but it will happen and don't worry too much about that gear sitting unused. I have a pair of custom hiking boots and a brand new 60 liter Dyneema pack both of which sit unused since last winter when I tore my ACL.

A word of advice... sometime during your recovery you will feel as though you're not making any progress with your PT. Don't fall into a rut no matter what your recovery is like. Some days you wont feel like doing any PT. On these days do something, maybe not the full workout but do at least half. Something is better than nothing and mentally it makes you stronger. Don't rush back into hiking. Listen to your knee, doctors and therapist and you'll back back on the trails in no time.

Thx....I promise to listen....I started the daily countdown last night....I'm getting lots of feedback from many people.....hope your recovery is going well and i'm sure you'll be using your gear soon also.. be well...

Interesting thread because I am scheduled for TKR in January. After 33+ years since years since my football injury and surgery(open bilateral menisectomy) on my knee, it has been progressively getting worse.

This year has been a lost year, early on I used a treadmill 3 times that set my poor knee over the edge, causing constant pain, needing a cane to walk and put my riding miles in the toilet. Even though it recovered from that acute stage it never recovered enough.

I ended up seeing a doc then had the MRI which was horrible and started me on the road to TKR- full of doubt and second guessing and full of worry about pain, potential complications and not having that inbreed yankee resolve to just tolerate it all. Never mind the funk from not doing all the fun stuff.

won't it be nice to descend without pain and instability every step....to walk long distances on surfaces that aren't limited to flat or paved roads ..to again ride long distances, to go on hills, and on dirt again.....to be able to hike bike work do yardwoirk all on the same day again.

Coldfeet and John..the hardest part of the deal is over..making the decision to go forward.

Once I turned that corner and set the date ..which was around 4 months out..
it took lots of the pressure off..then
I got a call soon after that there was a cancelation in 3 weeks and would I take it.

count me in..it all happened very quickly

good luck gentlemen and keep your reading public posted!!

John, Silverox hit it on the button! Once we decide to do it that takes the pressure off of waiting...keep us informed...ps, i'll send u a pm with a website that Trainwreck sent to me..

I figured out the other night if I buy 5 cases of the Saranac 12 pack winter beer and have 1 beer a night then when I finish all of them I'll have only 5 more days until the operation. I might use that math example for my 3rd graders...they heard me gasp yesterday and saw a few tears roll down my cheek :eek: I felt sorry for them. They have watched me change over the last month from hobbling down the stairs to using a cane and then finally saw me in pain yesterday.

Silverfox Do you still take any type of glucosime (sp?) pills or any other type of stuff like that? Happy Thanksgiving..

+1

Is that Totally New Ride or Total Knee Replacement? ;)

From speaking to John it sounds like he will be riding his bike over 250 miles a week :eek: My butt hurts after 45 min :(

Coldfeet-good luck with the surgery tomorrow. After all the waiting the day is finally here. I hope all goes well; it all goes by quickly. Here's to walking without pain again.

Thx....go figures the city is getting 6-9in of snow today and tonight...hope I don't have to wait to long tomorrow. My knee killed me a few months ago, the pain was around an 8-9 all day and night and now on the same scale the pain is a 3-4, yes sometimes it spikes to a quick 8 even without hiking. Was doubting my decision at times but I now know it's the smartest thing to do. But everytime I meet up with a professional in the business they always make the remark "Your to young". I don't think there is an age issue if your having difficulty doing what you like to do. So why wait? See you on the trails or paddling!

But everytime I meet up with a professional in the business they always make the remark "Your to young". I don't think there is an age issue if your having difficulty doing what you like to do.

"You're not THAT young..." ;)

I had a roommate do it at about age 25, so you're fine. The rehab will be painful but it should help develop some good habits re. stretching and no/low impact exercise, which is something we could all use more of.

Good luck. You'll have plenty of time to look for sales on the Aether now.

hehehe, thx a good one Marty....I should have that gel cushion attatched to me...

Chip, found one today used but starting at $150...to much for used....enjoy the gathering...if it wasn't 300 miles I'd go and hang out..:rolleyes: maybe?

BTW Good luck with the surgery. E-mail me when you have nothing better to do during your recovery n we'll talk about packs?

Which Aether are you looking for Dave?

I have one, a 70 I think, in my garage not being used at all, like new I'd like to sell or swap for a smaller Woman's day pack of similar value for my daughter; like maybe a Tallon 44 or a NF in that range?

Last edited:
good luck

coldfeet, good luck with the operation and recovery. i had total right knee replacement 4 years ago. one thing i found the hardest was getting full flexion of the knee again. i finally solved that problem by using a porch swing and placing foot on floor and using motion of the swing to flex the knee further and further. i still enjoy the outdoors hiking and fishing

Journey On

Hey Coldfeet!
As I write this, you are probably the owner of a shiny brand new knee!
I hope you have a smooth recovery and would love the opportunity to hike with you this summer (even with a new knee, I am still slow though). I am back outside, whacking away at giant popcicles in Crawford Notch and life is good. E-mail me with any post-op questions.

Best to you,
Sandy

I hiked with a fellow who did many of his "46" with an artificial knee.

We hiked 4 days in a row out of Waterville Valley. He would wrap his knee in the evening with a gizmo that circulated cold water to reduce swelling and that took maybe a half hour each day.

He was an agile and strong hiker, the size of an NFL lineman.