Total Knee Replacement Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good post about lyme disease....I believe my dr at Hospital for special surgery had done that test on me probably 6-7 years ago once he heard I was wacking around in the woods. I'd get the blood test done first....Be well and get lots of dr opinions especially for the blood test.

My former doctor's office said to me when I called for a Lyme test, "But you had one last year and it was negative." Again, with the local lab it was negative, but when my blood was tested in California, at Igenix, they found two bands positive for Lyme. My local doctor, who I liked a lot, didn't read those results in the test as enough bands to treat for Lyme. She was frustrated and so was I. There is a lot of controversy with this one. It would have been helpful if the Igenix report came back with "Positive for Lyme" on the front page, but it was back in the report a bit.

p.s. I don't want to change this to a Lyme posting, but I also want to increase awareness as much as I can.

Last edited:
no problem with any info on helping people! I walked today for a while and my other knee was starting to feel a little tender, which I already knew.

My principal pulled me off a 5th grade camping trip (mid March) that I started app 13 years ago probably for insurance reasons. I can understand that, I really wouldn't be much help on the hikes but I'll still go up on a visit and hang out for the night.

IC came over yesterday and we looked at maps and started our plans for our next part of the Northern forest Canoe Trail in late April, ahh that just helped mentally after all of the pain, can't wait! You'll welcome to join!

Carol, hi, looking at mid week around April 20-23 something like that. Very possible that the way we set it up there won't be any "carries".

HI Coldfeet:
Hope you are moving along in your recovery, and am happy you have your canoe trip in April to look forward to.
As for driving, it depends on which leg you do, and whether you are still on pain meds.
I had my right knee done and it was 6 weeks before I felt I could move quickly from gas to brake. The left I heard is a bit easier, though getting out of the car that leg is your lead leg, so it could be an issue. It is amazing how these are things most prople do not even think about on a day to day basis, yet they are major for a TKR person!

Don't drive on pain meds. Against the law.

Hope to see you out there this summer.
Sandy

Hey Sandy, good to hear from you. I don't really go on that other site, truth is I get a little scared reading some upsetting news when things aren't going so well for others.

Luckily it's my left knee that was worked on and I can drive. I've been weining (sp?) myself off the meds so that I can drive but i find the pain really bad usually around 9-11 pm and then pop a pill.

Beautiful sunny windy day today, I would like to take a walk on a dirt trail but it's still to muddy and I don't want to slide which is what I'd probably do.

Tomorrow will be 5 weeks and according to my p/t everything is going "well". I can get to 118degrees by myself and then he helps me with another 5-10 degrees. If you open your window tomorrow around 11am listen to my screams coming from the south :(

Doing some spring/summer outdoor planning does help during the day and make time go by. I'm going back to school to work next Wed, one dat shy of 6 weeks. I have to go, and I'll bring a few bags of ice along with me and leave it in the teacher refrigerator. Be well...

I'm so excited, I won a bid on e bay for a large osprey 85 backpack! whoo hoo./..the new knee is going to get me out into the woods carrying my wifes stuff with me and everyone elses! Very weird how this e bay worked...bag is coming used from NH, wonder if it was someone on this site? Now I'm looking at kevlar canoes....i don't need a fancy car or jewelery, just nice outdoor light weight toys...whee....

Tomorrow will be 5 weeks and according to my p/t everything is going "well". I can get to 118degrees by myself and then he helps me with another 5-10 degrees. If you open your window tomorrow around 11am listen to my screams coming from the south :(
Perhaps my story will encourage you:
* My injury: spiral fracture of the distal femur (ie just above the knee)
* Treatment: inserting a nail (rod) in the femur--the insertion was done through the knee joint
* First nail failed, replaced at 3 weeks. I had been healing well--the flexibility, strength, and healing rate were greatly damaged by the second operation.

Initial flexibility: ~30 degrees.
Final flexibility: 145 deg (as measured by the PT)

My knee flexibility increased at ~5 deg/week with a combination of home and PT stretching. It's a long and slow process, but keep at it. I found just sitting for extended periods with the knee gently flexed to its limit (with no pain), for instance when sitting at my computer or watching TV, to be particularly effective.

From another viewpoint, I could hit my butt with the heel of my unbroken leg. I was able to get my heel within 4-5 inches of my butt with my broken leg. That was 3 years ago--I haven't been stretching it regularly since and can still get my heel to about 6 inches from my butt pretty easily.

Sure, my knee has lost some flexibility, but it only affects a few things. I can't crouch all the way down with that leg and it can make getting shoes and socks on a bit harder unless I can sit above the foot and compress the knee with my weight. (Ie, it is no problem sitting on the edge of a chair or my bed at home--just in situations like changing while sitting in the car.)

BTW, my PT found it amusing that I would just sit/lie there and hardly react when she would lean on my knee as hard as she could.

Doug

Last edited:
DP, I remember when you got injured, it was tough just reading about your procedure, glad to know your getting better. I do also remember that very cold morning in Maine (gathering a few years back at GO's place) when you drove us to some trailhead and a few people were skiing along the trail and I was hiking along them. Think it was app 2-5 degrees that morning. I have some pics of those large machines that grab the trees after being cut down. Hope to get back there with my "new" used pack.

DP, I remember when you got injured, it was tough just reading about your procedure, glad to know your getting better.
Thanks--I'm much improved, but I'm not sure I'm fully back yet. The bones are fine--the remaining problems are overtraining in my quads and overall fitness. I suspect that you have seen my recent trip reports (Kanc Brk Tr and Pemi Loop)... Hopefully you will be able to file some before too long.

I do also remember that very cold morning in Maine (gathering a few years back at GO's place) when you drove us to some trailhead and a few people were skiing along the trail and I was hiking along them. Think it was app 2-5 degrees that morning. I have some pics of those large machines that grab the trees after being cut down. Hope to get back there with my "new" used pack.
Yep, I remember same. The cold front that came through the night before. The woman with the 2-wheel drive that couldn't make it up the hill on CVR--gave her a lift in my AWD--IIRC, you hiked with her. A chilly day, but good skiing.

Doug

Last edited:
Coldfeet:
Glad to hear about your progress and congrats on the pack!!!
Today is my 1 year anniversary with the knee. I somehow managed to overtrain my quads and now have to get going on my hamstrings and the muscles around my hips.
I got out a bit climbing this winter, but it was so cold in the notches of NH where I climb it was not really great. Also got out XC skiing. Knee liked that alot, but again, windy and way too cold. Believe me, I have spared no expense in the persuit of warm winter clothing, but it still didn't do the trick.
Can't wait till they clean all the sand off the roads so I can get back on my bike.
I didn't hike much last summer. Seems my knee was on the 1 year plan to heal.
This summer I'm planning on making a dent in the list of mountains I want to climb. We have a variety of kayaks, including an inflatable tandem my husband got at EMS that I love. Will get out on them this summer too. I couldnt paddle last summer due to a Rotator Cuff Repair right after my TKR (not recommended).
I understand about the Knee site. I don't read the posts by people having the rare, really bad stuff. It did help me re: just info gathering. There are also some people that go there to brag about how fast they are healing. I think they are Trolls.
Good to hear you are doing well. Don't let the PT torture you. It will just piss off your knee. Do your own torture.
Sandy

Hey Trainwreck, everything is going as planned. I'm taking it one day at a time but I realized today that it's still only 6 weeks and time will help with the process.

Funny thing about the cold weather, I happen to enjoy it better than the 85F humid days but recently this damp weather has been making me chilly, very weird :confused:

I was supposed to go on a kayak/camping trip in 2 weeks but it was cxled by the leader, maybe that was an omen for me not to go.

P/t got me to 135 yesterday and you should have heard me scream, I'm such a wimp :( be well everyone

good news, we get more light in afternoon starting Sunday, whoo hooo!

driving

hey coldfeet,
glad to hear you are progressing, the screams of pain are also screams of accomplishment. i had total right knee replacement and had no trouble driving after six weeks. albeit short trips at first, as i started traveling around i found i had to stop and get out and stretch about every two hours. good luck in your continued progress

Thx Journey, I know exactly what your talking about. Even sitting now at the computer i'm only good for 15-20 min and that's it. Went back to teaching this week and my coteacher keeps telling me to sit down but she doesn't understand that it's way to uncomfortable at times to sit.

I'm wondering how kayaking is going to be, luckily I have an option to use a rec boat to bend my knees, the other boat is like a cigar tube and mentally I don't even what to think about squeezing into one of those.

Nice weather today, enjoy