Rhode Island high point Intel

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
I thought this was recently discussed but I couldn't find it.

(Hopefully I'll try & get to some of the High Pointers pages)

Isn't there some type of schedule for open days to what was once the hardest High Pt. in America? Thinking of taking the kids the Saturday after Thanksgiving if possible

Thanks

Several sources online all agree that under new ownership, it's accessible every day from 8am to 4pm.

I know the previous owner used to "pack a piece". You're probably much safer now.

I know the previous owner used to "pack a piece". You're probably much safer now.
Splitting hairs, but it was the owner whose property you had to cross to get to the property that the high point was on. (Brown University maintains an astronomical observatory there, and has a right of way, so if you were a stargazer, this would have been the alternate legal access back in the day).

Thanks for the help. Looks like a go then. Also looking at a Shenendoah April vacation so we may also visit Spruce Knob while in the area. Ideally we would hike it, I'll have to check out Trish and Alex's trip.

Without trying, kids have been to NH, NJ so if we do RI & WV, they have decent start. (We know we'll get the other Northeast high points just as part of hikes.) They aren't ready for a Marcy trip yet.

Last edited:
The last pitch is tuff. Don't forget the ropes and pitons.

You may need it to to sustain yourself while at the near-summit plateau while trying to decide on top of which cliff face the true summit resides.