Herd Path from top of Rattlesnake

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grayjay

Reaction score
This Monday I hiked up Rattlesnake in Rumney with my friend. On the way down the loop, I had to visit the woods for a minute, and I saw a herd path heading north along the ridge. We decided to follow it way. It was marked with yellow tape, and had been cleared a little, but was rarely used. It ended in about three fourths of a mile. It was an enjoyable time on the ridgetop. My friend suggested that I post this to see if anyone know if it was made by hikers, or perhaps hunters. I never would have found it if nature hadn't called.

Heading north? Starting from where?

All the good climbing is at the southern end, near the river. North of the trail is all pretty moderate slopes. There's not a whole lot of views either (looks like there's some ledge a little southwest of pt 1641 and again at Upper Rattlesnake), and hikers that dedicated to low peaks usually don't leave tape or clear the trail, so this is probably used by hunters.

You start down fron the summit on left hand north loop, go over a couple small rises then turn west and begin to head down. On the gentle slope before heading down, this very vague path takes off north. I agree that it is hunters. Just after it ended on the ridge, there was an area of spruce with wet pools and a bog, where game would go.

I vaguely remember a description of a trip that went through to Mt. Carr along this ridge. I don't remember where I heard the story.

From Mt. Carr, I once followed a herd path south in this direction, but it petered out after a half-mile or so. That's a few miles away. I also remember snowmobile trails cut on that side of Mt. Carr (possibly bootleg?)

I vaguely remember a description of a trip that went through to Mt. Carr along this ridge. I don't remember where I heard the story.

From Mt. Carr, I once followed a herd path south in this direction, but it petered out after a half-mile or so. That's a few miles away. I also remember snowmobile trails cut on that side of Mt. Carr (possibly bootleg?)

Steve Smith did a nice trip report on a Rattlesnake-Carr hike back in May:

http://mountainwandering.blogspot.com/2010/05/rattlesnake-mountain-rumney-5710-this.html