Portland hikers?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guthook

Reaction score
I guess my transition from long-distance hiking is starting in full... I move to Portland next week, and start working right about the same time. To keep myself sane, I'm going to have to escape to the mountains as often as possible.

Any VFTTers living in Portland? There must be. It's been a while since I've lived in the big city, so if anyone from the area is planning any weekends of hiking, I'd love to meet the locals and find some folks I can hike with this winter. Anyone...?

Just in case you havent heard of them, Maine Outdoor Activities Club (MOAC) is somewhat active in the area, although they have their ups and downs. I ran into one of their long term members earlier this summer on Carrigan and she mentioned they were trying to bump up their activities as they had gotten a tad bit social.

Observations from afar is they frequently have a tough time balancing the interests of advanced hikers and outdoors folks with social activities that are of interest to city dwellers.

I'm a member of MOAC, though I live in NH. Haven't done a lot with them, but have made some nice friends through their activities and meetings. One idea is to go to a meeting or two, plan some events that are along the scale of what you enjoy and see who signs up. I've met some really wonderful companions that way.

Good luck in your new job and digs. Lucky you -- you have Trader Joe's in town. Their new opening has also brought some markdowns to Whole Foods.

Ooh, I hadn't thought of outing clubs for a while-- not since college, really. I should look into that... looks like I just missed their monthly meeting for November, but maybe by December I'll be settled into the city enough to remember to go to the meeting. In the meantime, I guess I should add another forum to my list of things to check.

As for that trader joe's... yeah. That place was a zoo last week. I guess that answered their question about whether there were enough people willing to shop there :)

Hey Guthook....I am just up the road in Freeport. I am transitioning too from long distance hiking...they say it gets easier but I think they lie:) Anyway I try to get out every weekend....looking forward to winter!

-MEB

Hello,

I'm also in the greater Portland Area (Windham), and have a group of us that usually get out a couple times a month. We are not as accomplished as you and MEB, although a couple of us (not me)- have been out to Rainier.
Most of us are just weekend warriors out for a good 10-15 mile beating followed by an adult beverage.
If you want in, send me a PM with your email address and I can keep you in the loop on hikes.
Oh, by the way, I carry a pink flamingo with me on hikes:eek:. So, if you are offended by plastic........It's a long story.

Petch

Sweet. I'll PM you Portlanders in a minute. As for "accomplished," Petch, you've got me thoroughly beat in the 4k'ers department. And it only takes a few weeks of being off trail before my legs start to get tired and weak, so we'll see who's trying to catch up to who :)

MEB, you're right. They do lie. I've done the transition three times now, and it seems to get harder every time. Or maybe that's just a figment of my imagination.... who knows. Maybe I'll have to try again to be sure.

Guthook
I'm in the area as well, part of Petch's posse. Looking forward to winter, always a good idea to have some company! Hopefully we can connect.

I'm likely on the slow side since my summer job (wedding photog) and finishing my master's killed my hiking time, but I'm on the south side of Sebago lake. I did the MOAC thing at the beginning of my "hiking career" but have wound up solo'ing for a while when my life got too nutty. Just making the committment to get back in to it. So... there ya go.

P.S. I was one of the nut brains at the TJs opening day. Insane, but fun. :eek:

Welcome to Portland! I love it.
Years ago I chose the AMC Maine chapter over MOAC as I found the Maine Chapter to be much friendlier and much less into multiple social gatherings and having a few after meetings, hikes, whatever. However, that could have changed. Over the years they have had a good following. The Maine chapter does not get into having meetings so the best way to connect with them is to sign up for one of their hikes, x-country skiis or whatever. They have an excellent listing of winter options this year (http://www.amcmaine.org/). Hope to see you on one of my hikes.

Hey man,

My wife and I and our 2 dogs live in South Portland. We'd like to say that we get out often, but more often than not - it's not often enough. We love winter hiking so give me a shout if you're looking for some folks to hike with.

Sweet, I'm glad there are so many responses popping up here!

I went to the AMC Maine winter hiking workshop the other day, and I'm going to head to the talk in Brunswick on the Winter Maine AT hike on tuesday night. Anyone else going to that?

Since it sounds like there are plenty of people in the Portland area, how about this: I'll start posting on this Trips & Events board when I have any planned hikes in the near future (starting in January, probably). If I'm planning a trip, I can probably post it here a week ahead of time. Subject line: "Portland to..." wherever. Anyone like the sound of this? We'll see just how active I can force myself to be once it gets really cold.

See you soon, I hope!