First Ascents!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddy

Reaction score
Did anyone view First Ascents on the Travel Channel Thursday evening?
Two hours of intense technical climbing featuring Sharma, Potter, etc.
Potter also does base jumping and he is setting a new trend in free climbing big walls. He is using a "parachute" when he falls off, not the entire base jumping outfit. It was quite amazing and at times frightening to watch. Not bad for the North Face of the Eiger. He also did a base jump with the flight suit from the highest point ever. :eek:
"Impressive" would be an understatement.

Leaf...a few options for you to explore. ;)

Haven't seen the TV version yet, but much of the same footage has been available on DVD for a while.

Check out the Sharp End to see Ammon McNeeley take a zipper aid fall, and Johnny Copp and Micah Dash do some alpine climbing in Chamonix.

Maybe they'll get some sick rad footage of dry-tooling Mahoosuc Notch next.

Haven't seen the TV version yet, but much of the same footage has been available on DVD for a while.

Check out the Sharp End to see Ammon McNeeley take a zipper aid fall, and Johnny Copp and Micah Dash do some alpine climbing in Chamonix.

Sounds good.
I wondered if they had featured Potter at the Banff films. I don't recall the name.

Is this the same as Sender Films' "First Ascent" series?

If so, make absolutely sure that you catch Alex Honnold's free-solo climb on Half Dome in Yosemite. Craziest climbing video I have ever seen. It showed at the Banff Film Festival last year.

If so, make absolutely sure that you catch Alex Honnold's free-solo climb on Half Dome in Yosemite. Craziest climbing video I have ever seen. It showed at the Banff Film Festival last year.

YEs...this is it! :) The Travel Channel didn't give me much but found this doing a Sender series search.
It appears that they are playing them out of order.
I think the first film last evening was Honnold's free-solo on Half Dome.

http://theadventureblog.blogspot.com/2010/11/sender-films-first-ascent-series-comes.html

Due to the remote and extreme nature of the Mahoosucs there may only be a select few that would be willing to participate.

That climb was sick! I can't imagine being able to wrap my mind around a challenge like that.

This is correct. They were doing some more filming when the accident occurred and there will be a memorial of sorts in one of the series, I believe.

This was the second film shown last Thursday on the Travel Channel.
I thought it was well done and very sad. The had abandoned their climb because of weather and had gone back to get their gear when the avalanche took their lives.
I had never heard of Mt Edgar. It's an incredibly difficult peak.

Honnold's ascent of Half Dome was on the Travel Channel this morning. Neat stuff!