FYI: Northern Pass High Voltage Transmission Project

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Brown Hydro" is generally referring to a hydroelectric power plant with ponded storage which releases water on a cyclical basis varying the water level of the pond as needed. In the US ponded storage is subject to environmental rules that limit variations in the storage level to reduce the impact to wildlife and erosion issues. There was a large ponded storage project in NW maine proposed 30 years ago, Dickey Lincoln, that went even further by pumping water out of lower impoundment into a higher impoundment at night, then emptying the upper one during the day. Maine has quite a few ponded storage lakes including, Azicohos, Flagstaff, Gulf Island Pond and numerous lakes around Mt Katahdin. NH has Lake Umbagog and Moore dam.

Run of the river plants, ike most of those along the Connecticut and the Androscoggin, have no significant upstream storage and generate power 24 hours per day with minimal manipulation of the water level. Obviously they do have impact as obstacles to fish that swim upstream but this is considered less impact that ponded storage. One of the major obstacles to restoring the Androscoggin River is attributed to the Gulf Island Pond storage pond north of Lewiston as years of high BOD sediments that would have been flushed to the sea long ago are trapped behind the dam leading to the need to inject liquid oxygen it the river to prevent fish kills in warm weather.

There are all sorts of environmental ills attributed to ponded storage dams. Generally its hard on the types of wildlife that existing prior to the flooding of the area, it introduces a large amount of erosion due to the varying water levels, it introduces a lot of methane (which has a high global warming potential) into air from rotting vegetation that is flooded in fairly shallow areas. Obviously whitewater paddlers are also not a fan of dams as they back up the rivers for miles and flood water falls. A free running river has a far better oxygen uptake than a flat lake, in general the water quality downstream of a dam will be of lower quality than prior to the constrcution of the dam. Large impoundments also remove large blocks of old growth boreal forest which at a minimum is a carbon sink.

VT and Mass both banned "brown hydro" as a renewable for years and I beleive the EU has significant limits on what can be claimed as renewable, Mass still has the rules in effect but VT changed the rules last year as a means of acquiring a new source of power to offset the expected closure of VT Yankee and to stave off new fossil fueled generation.

As usual its the regions decision on the relative gains and losses of hydro versus fossil generation. For new England, most of the power generation is natural gas combined cycle plants currently with some nukes and some grandfathered coal plants. As the need for power increases, the current decision for new power is natural gas or hydro. A combined cycle natural gas plant has less footprint and are a lot quicker to build, but they emit CO2, big hydro has a much bigger footprint and local impact but doesnt emit as much CO2.

Nuclear is a four-letter word.

And as wisher pointed out, a power-free utopia isn't going to happen in our lifetimes.
FWIW, consensus among the people I talk to is generally in favour of nuclear, and I hang out with probably the furthest left, most environmental types in a pretty Republican town (tending towards the Bull Moose, though.) We aren't energy wonks and we have to live with it every day anyhow, so grain of salt, just don't forget that coal releases a huge amount of radiation in daily operation.

"Brown Hydro" is generally referring to a hydroelectric power plant with ponded storage which releases water on a cyclical basis varying the water level of the pond as needed. In the US ponded storage is subject to environmental rules that limit variations in the storage level to reduce the impact to wildlife and erosion issues.
Is that limited to hydro off of (formerly) free-flowing rivers? There's an enormous ponded storage project above Twin Lakes, CO (east of Independence Pass) where I believe the hydro is used to smooth out demand, pumping water out of the lakes into the storage pond when demand is low and releasing it when demand is high.

FWIW, consensus among the people I talk to is generally in favour of nuclear, and I hang out with probably the furthest left, most environmental types in a pretty Republican town (tending towards the Bull Moose, though.) We aren't energy wonks and we have to live with it every day anyhow, so grain of salt, just don't forget that coal releases a huge amount of radiation in daily operation.

Funny you brought this up... while waiting to turn into my driveway this afternoon a white Toyota Prius passed by with a very decorative vehicle wrap adorning the body proclaiming "GO GREEN" and "NO NUKES". In light of this discussion, I feel like asking them what their definition of "Green" is...

Also, there is a much more local example of ponded water storage that uses the Connecticut River as the lower reservoir: Northfield Mountain Project

Last edited:
Northfield Mountain also has a reputation for being a beautiful (groomed) cross-country ski area in the winter.

As a kid I toured the place. The turbine hall was like something out of "War Games."

Heres some info on Dickey Lincoln, it predated the web so there isnt as much info out there as some projects. Not mentioned in the test was that it was originally deisnged to support the Richmond Maine nuclear power plant that was never built along with the Wiscasset power plant whihc was built but since decomissioned. The project would run backwards during the night storing water and then would run the hydro during the day when there was a demand. Considering that a 950 MW combined cycle natural gas plant fits on about 10 acres and can be built in about 2 years, I dont see Dickey Lincoln coming back especially since the nature conservancy bought a bunch of the land that would have been inundated.

Since the 1930s, the Dickey-Lincoln School Dam Project on the St. John has been considered by the US Army Corps of Engineers. The project was authorized by Congress in 1965 and a full proposal was created in 1974. This project would have put in the Dickey Dam and the Lincoln School Dam to provide electricity during peak times. If constructed, the project would have generated over 800 Megawatts and would have provided about 17% of New England's peak energy during the 1980s. Churchill Dam would likely have modified its flow levels and times to maximize energy production at these sites. The project would have inundated about 88,000 acres of land and part of the St. John River. However, the Dickey-Lincoln project was not built because of controversies over energy at the time. The project had to meet new White House water resource policies at the time. Additionally, there was a lot of debate over the economic and environmental costs of the project for just peak energy production. The project concept was deauthorized by Congress in 1986. In addition, considerations for the Furbish Lousewort (Pedicularis furbishiae), an endangered plant, harmed the project. In 1976, Furbish Lousewort was rediscovered along the St. John during survey work for the Environmental Impact Statement for the Dickey-Lincoln Project. The banks of the St. John are still the only place where Furbish Lousewort is found today. The Army Corps worked with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to create a conservation program that would allow the project to continue and allow for protection of Furbish lousewort. The two agencies agreed on a conservation plan that would allow Dickey-Lincoln to still be constructed while protecting the species through research, monitoring, protection of habitat, and establishment of new colonies. The Furbish Lousewort rediscovery is not what halted the project in the 1970s. In fact, the Fish and Wildlife Service stated that they "believe that if the conservation program is followed, it will result in an increase in numbers of the species and increased protection for its habitat." The Dickey-Lincoln project was recently brought under discussion again, but construction is not planned.

NH has Lake Umbagog and Moore dam.
Also 1st and 2nd CT Lakes and Lake Francis

Obviously whitewater paddlers are also not a fan of dams as they back up the rivers for miles and flood water falls.
Actually the typical whitewater paddler loves dams because they provide scheduled water releases, particularly in midsummer. The Deerfield River is about the most choked with dams of anywhere but it supports a thriving rafting industry.

It used to be that you could tell how long someone had been canoeing by mentioning the Ball Mtn Dam in VT which destroyed a gorge of unusual beauty but provides some of the most popular water releases, but the old-timers are gone now.

For those interested in the Northern Pass project, and its impacts on the White Mountain National Forest, you can find the USFS's page on the project's anticipated application for a special use permit here:
http://www.fs.fed.us/nepa/project_content.php?project=34752

There don't seem to be any documents on the site yet, but the Service's schedule of proposed actions suggests that we'll see a notice published in the Federal Register in January 2011. This is consistent with what Northern Pass Transmission, LLC says on its website about the special use permit process ("Northern Pass Transmission, LLC expects to file an application for a Special Use Permit in early 2011.")

Video - Tour of the Northern Pass

A fascinating look at how this abhorrent powerline project will affect some of our favorite NH mountains, trails, places and views...

Loon
Cannon
South Kinsman
Moosilauke
The Appalachian Trail
The Rocks Estate

...to name a few.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Mrlz_AHAI

Last edited:
A fascinating look at how this abhorrent powerline project will affect some of our favorite NH mountains, trails, places and views...

Loon
Cannon
South Kinsman
Moosilauke
The Appalachian Trail
The Rocks Estate

...to name a few.

Sorry, without putting trees there to mitigate what those towers would look like the whole production is very self serving, not visually correct and actually amounts to a lie. I am almost certain that there are some trees in the forest that are 135 feet tall that might help hide this and even if I am standing near one that is thirty feet tall the chances that I will see these towers are virtually zero.

I may not be for this project but seeing cheesy self serving productions doesn't help the cause. And how does a power transmission line increase light pollution? As far as reducing tourism, I'll still be going.

Keith

Last edited:
This is an interesting issue. As Google Earth and similar programs become more broadly used, we will see more and more video simulations of what projects might look like. Project developers often generate their own simulations to help convince regulators and the public that their projects' visual impacts are reasonable. Here, they'll be competing for attention with the video linked-to above. I tend to agree that this video had an overt agenda, and might not fully capture what the lines would look like. Still, it makes a strong statement, and visually illustrates the routes these lines might take through the White Mountains.

Still, it makes a strong statement, and visually illustrates the routes these lines might take through the White Mountains.

Not disagreeing with you but that could just as easily and with the same transfer of useful information could have been done on a flat map. Giving it a 3D appearance without rendering everything in 3D including the trees is nothing short of a lie. I will also mention that it appears, I don't intend to watch it again, but it appears as though the vertical axis is exaggerated, also for an effect the creators wanted.

Again, I am not sure if I am for or against this project yet. I am against people lying to get their way. And just to be perfectly clear I am not accusing el-bagr or LRiz of any type of deception.

Just my $.02,
Keith

The Maine Public Broadcasting Network ran an interesting 6-minute story on this project last week, entitled "Northern Pass Project Promises Renewable Power, but at What Cost?"

http://www.mpbn.net/Home/tabid/36/ctl/ViewItem/mid/3478/ItemId/14725/Default.aspx

The story notes that the Appalachian Mountain Club and the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests have registered their opposition to the project in its current form.

Union Leader story today

A story about 1 protester broke today:

http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=0591ebfe-3881-4e55-b8a6-bc404c468e13

I still remember attending meetings back in the 70's to stop the expansions of ski areas and put a stop to Seabrooke. Then it was cell towers. Now it is power lines?? You can fight city hall, but can you win???

I live less than 2 miles from "The Rocks" and have been attending grass roots meetings to try and figure out how to divert this. Remember though, no one wants it in their"back yard".

NH doesn't need any more power. The lights always go on, so does the TV. And if you had more juice to sell, you wouldn't charge any less for it and don't insult me by asking me to believe that you would. If MA and CT needs more power, then I'm sorry to hear that but you can't expect us to help out at the expense of sacrificing our forests.

Get out, go home.

If MA and CT needs more power, then I'm sorry to hear that but you can't expect us to help out at the expense of sacrificing our forests.

Get out, go home.

A rather crass attitude of a resident in a state that relies so heavily it's tourism industry to balance the budget. I am also willing to bet that a large number of us "southerners" support the cause to protect "your" forests at all costs. IMO, you will need support from many people throughout New England to derail this project. You can't expect anyone else to feel sorry for you with that kind of statement.

But your last sentence sir, is very abrasive. May they run the project right through your front yard. Good day!

You can fight city hall, but can you win???
Note that the project proposes new corridors in NH over existing ones in VT because VT regulations are more stringent. All it may take to divert the worst of this is to make NH law the same as VT.

The routing of the line through NH entirely in PSNH territory is very important to PSNH. The project is not being funded by ISO New England (I.E. ultimately all the new england ratepayers) rather it is funded by Hydro Quebec and the parent company of PSNH. Therefore they make their money by charging what the market will pay for the electrons that "flow" down the wires (a possible comparison is an interstate highway built by the government with tax dollars versus a toll road built by a private developer). If the lines run through other utility areas, the PSNH/Hydro Quebec group most likely wll need to add other partners which would be a couple of the rural utilities in VT which are probably not set up for a major project such as this and share the profits. According to this map

http://www.cvps.com/CustomerService/2007ElectricFranchiseMap.pdf

at least two VT utilities (possibly three) would have to be involved. Vermont also has the "dreaded" act 250 and other regulations that would probably kick in which tend to slow down projects and increase a developers costs. Therefore despite there being an existing Hydro Quebec right of way with existing tall towers running through the northern VT, its to PSNH's advantage to find an alternative through NH.

Folks may forget that the PNGTS gas line right of way was cut through a similiar area of northern NH about 10 years ago eventually connecting up with the Portland Pipeline right of way in Gorham NH partially as a means of bypassing the existing Portland pipeline right of way through VT and its associated regulatory issues. Granted there werent transmission towers but if you look at Google Earth its quite an obvious run.

A similiar project partially funded by ISO New England (and all the New England Ratepayers) is currently permitted and commencing construction in Maine

http://maineinsights.com/perma/main...ransmission-investment-in-new-england-history

It is running along mostly existing right of ways and is intended predominantly to allow additional power to be exported to southern New England and to allow addtional wind power to be put on line.

Loon
Cannon
South Kinsman
Moosilauke
The Appalachian Trail
The Rocks Estate

...to name a few.

My reaction tends to be slightly grey with anything with a title of "What xxxxx doesn't want you know/see". Replace xxxxx with "credit card company", "insurance company", "doctor" or anything else. The view is often incomplete at best.

NH doesn't need any more power. The lights always go on, so does the TV. And if you had more juice to sell, you wouldn't charge any less for it and don't insult me by asking me to believe that you would. If MA and CT needs more power, then I'm sorry to hear that but you can't expect us to help out at the expense of sacrificing our forests.

Get out, go home.

I didn't take this as an anti Southern NE rant. More of towards the fat cats that are planning this so they can profit. But I may be wrong?

Another dumping on the North Country of what no one else wants.