Moat mtn trail for me?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trainwreck

Reaction score
So many of you know I am SLOWLY recovering from a knee replacement.

Before the big snow/ice hits, I was wondering if a Moat mtn hike (NOT traverse) would be appropriate.

I did get up to Glen Boulder last weekend with my microspikes but turned back d/t the screaming wind above treeline.

So in comparison to the steepness and rocky rooty footing on the GB trail, what is the Moat trail like?
Should I do it from the north or south trailhead?

Thanks for any advice.
Sandy

The walk up South Moat from the Dugway road is a lot more gentle than Glen Boulder. There are a couple of ledgy spots that are steep for very short distances but nothing like glen boulder trail. There are plenty of options of working your way around these steep spots. Due to the exposed ledges it can be slippery when wet but given the current forecast things should be dry. On a sunny day it can get warm due to the excellent solar exposure so be prepared to take off a few layers.

Alternatively, Kearsage North has even better grading. There are two of three spots on the summit cone but again nothing like Glen Boulder. It too has great sun exposure plus the enclosed firetower is a great place to catch lunch.

Both are real popular year round.

I, too, enjoy the walk in from Dugway Road on the re-routed section of trail. Then the straight up steep section hits, with its uneven footing. The section of open ledges seems even more slippery than other trails with open rock. The summit is beautiful, though and the walk over to Middle is nice.

Another option you might consider in the area is the White Ledges Loop. We did that a few weeks ago in a counter-clockwise trip. There are some nice look-outs at different points. There are still some open ledges that might be icy, but the footing is generally good.

As mentioned above by Peakbagger, Kearsarge North is nice. I like it because of the option at the summit of getting out of the elements a bit.

I, too, enjoy the walk in from Dugway Road on the re-routed section of trail.

"Dugway Road" is something of an anachronism. I believe it was renamed to "Passaconaway Road" several years ago, even though the latest edition of the White Mountain Guide still refers to the old name. I have driven the road from West Side to the Kanc, and the only sign that mentioned Dugway was one picnic area.

Thanks. I may consider Kearsarge as it is a 2 minute drive from my place in N. Conway. From my fron porch, I look at the Moats and keep wondering when I'll get up to them. I hike to Dianas baths as often as I can, and last winter wandered down the N. Moat trail a bit.
Can anyone compare the N. Moat trail to the ruggedness of Glen Boulder?

Thanks,
Sandy

The upper parts on N. Moat I remember being pretty steep, so I don't know if that matters to you (can't comment on ruggedness since I have only done it with a snowpack on the ground). On the other hand, the south end I remember as being mostly easy. And the view is as open as N. Moat. The only difference is the parking area on the south end can be a bit difficult to find if you do not pay attention.

Brian