A Moose Mtn Afternoon 11-13-10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
1089986624_omn9h-L.jpg

I had a free afternoon, so the decision was made to head up to Moose mtn and check out the ridge, (at least the AT part) which I haven't hiked since Sept of 07, on a very warm and humid day. Temps were absolutely perfect yesterday, in the 50s pretty much from top to bottom, and as the day wore on towards sunset, a temp inversion took hold, where it was much warmer higher up on the hill than the bottom...like in the 50s higher up, and in the upper 30s in the little nooks. Gotta love microclimates. We didn't have a whole lot of time thanks to the 4:30 sunset, but it made for interesting light, thats for sure. Even my trail sign picture makes it look like the sun was ready to set, and it was at high noon. Anyways, I will let the pics tell the rest of the story.

at the crossing down in the little nook, in the first 5 min.
1089986596_2rDv9-L.jpg

some magnificent birches, and Hunter, our fearless leader
1089986986_TMeFa-L.jpg

Onward, humans!!
1089987359_jrGfj-L.jpg

view from south moose mtn, really growing in at this point. where is my chainsaw? just kidding...i dont know how to use one. haha
1089987382_arMMf-L.jpg

We kept going over to North Moose, to check out a couple more view points, till the trail started descending. I wanted to get to the view where you could see smarts and cube, but it was getting too late in the day. So instead we settled for some other interesting vistas.
1089987859_DDaoh-L.jpg

Goose pond
1089988091_xwexs-L.jpg

Looking west
1089988141_yZR8y-L.jpg

This one is prob one of my favorite shots of the day. Are we in the Smokies?
1089987784_Jt6My-L.jpg

It was gettin towards 4pm, and after a short break at the Moose Mtn shelter, we headed down the mtn along the old class 6 road in the col below South Moose Mtn. There was a lot of water and mud up high, but it eventually got redirected off the road, and then it was a dry path the rest of the way, to Three Mile Rd. If it had been earlier, we could have attempted to make a loop along some other trails back to the AT, but we just took the road all the way down, then back onto the main drag to the car.

the scene
1089988746_R4wYd-L.jpg

the quiet calm of night setting in
1089988837_RS3tx-L.jpg

and finally, this was after sunset, but we had yet another amazing color display.

whoever lives at the house I trespassed onto to get this pic, I am jealous. no one was home...i think it was a summer place.
1089988860_6DRX5-L.jpg

enjoy! http://grouseking.smugmug.com/gallery/14648203_KrsqM#1089986624_omn9h

grouseking

Nice report! At some point we should get a group together to clear out that view. DOC has permission to "reclaim" it...we just need to get out there and do it! Near the top of S. peak, there is a small clearing with a nice view to Mt. Washington. It's just NE of the trail as you leave the summit, maybe 40yds down the trail from the summit, and about 30yds off the trail.

Nice report! At some point we should get a group together to clear out that view. DOC has permission to "reclaim" it...we just need to get out there and do it! Near the top of S. peak, there is a small clearing with a nice view to Mt. Washington. It's just NE of the trail as you leave the summit, maybe 40yds down the trail from the summit, and about 30yds off the trail.

That sounds great! There will be no more view in a couple years. Perhaps we can find people to get together. I dont know how to use any tools, but I'm a quicker learner...and I'm 6 foot 2, so I suppose I can be an ox as well! :)

I tell ya, that whole ridge really is interesting. It is so narrow in parts....I think some parts are no more than 100 or 200 feet wide. I never noticed it before when leaves were on the trees, but yesterday I could see the treed in view, and was quite surprised. Now I need to explore the rest of the mountain, that doesnt have the AT traversing it.